Best way to dry grain?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks, having got decidedly side tracked we finally did something with the bere barley berries. They had been decided into the biggest healthiest looking ones to be used as seed and the rest. I had though we had dried them out throughly, and the seed ones we had but the lad noticed there was a funny smell from the others and on closer examination a small number had sprouted. We then went through the lot pulling about a handfull that had germinated and then hand rubbed the awns off and sieved them, there being no wind to winnow them.

After getting all the unwanted bits out there 1 lb 1 oz of the seed grain and 7 lb 2 oz of the to use stuff, not too bad from the trial bed in the back garden.

My question is what is the best way to dry them out? I've linen bags to hang them up from the beams when they are ready and in the past that's kept things well.

The other grains from the trial patch have now been hung in front of the windows for over a month, they must be ready now for me to cut the heads off and save the straws for making stuff. There's good double hand full of the wild oats and about half as much of the black/bristle oats. I'll need to go through them carefully to see if we missed any that had smut. There's even a few dozen Hebridean Rye that germinated despite being well past its sell by date. There's also, laid out in a single layer but close packed, tea trays of both emmer and einkorn, all the seedlings herself planted out having flourished. The spelt from St Fagans only grew 10 inches to a foot high like a big mass of grass to be honest. It must not have been spring spelt after all but winter. I thought about leaving it to see what happens next year but it was right in the way of where we will be rotating the peas and beans to. So they got chopped and went into the compost bins.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks! The sad thing is I'm pretty someone of this parish told me but I've completely forgot! ( sorry to who ever it was, I'm not being rude just daft!)

Oddly enough I was recently offered to look at the research of some one who made a study of the old oat drying kilns that once dotted the Pennines. Being more farm house kitchen than farming I declined as it was mainly related to the reuse of distinctive arched stones in buildings and walls in the 18 th .c rather than there use prior to that.

atb

Tom

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Have you got a dehydrator Tom?

If you have I'd say that would be a good way to dry it out as you've not a large quantity.

It's also the way farmers do it albeit on an industrial scale

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
+1 for DB's plan. Household window screens on wooden frames.
Just wait until the mice smell what you're doing.

If you're saving this for seed, I'd dry with warm, not hot, air. Nothing more than 35C.
How do you plan to judge moisture content? When to stop?

If all these were planted close together, you might not be able to rely on them breeding true.
Just like the demonstrated cross-pollinations that gave us the wheats in the first place.

There is one other thing. Wheat farming on the Canadian prairies produces a lot of the best grain on earth.
That's due in part to winter weather cold enough to freeze your buns off.
That kills off much of the soil fungi which proliferate each summer. Fusarium wilts/Damping Off and so forth.
Keep going but if germination percentages take a nose-dive, fungal attack might be a reason.

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks!
we were away all weekend so I quickly spread the grain in a thin layer on the bottom of 8 plastic storage boxes and left them in the sun before we left. They have dried out a lot and no new sprouts have occurred so, not having any suitable nets as soon as we have finished drying the sage crop ( how can so much turn into so little! ) I'll feed it through her selfs two dehydrators. In the mean time I'm stirring and shaking the boxes every time I pass.

im hoping that with the bere barley going in a few weeks before the rest and ( I think ) coming to flower weeks before the others did means that there was little cross polination. The heads looked like poster boys for the various species but we will have to see how they for.

As you will have seen I've not been very scientific about this so it will be guess work knowing when how dry they are.

its been fun but I think we are done with cereals apart from small plots to keep the seed going. With the bere a significant amount of the garden was taken up with it, it produced a high yield since we pounced about with it more than a real farmer could but it's still only produced enough got what half a dozen loaves? About a pound of seed made 8 pounds of usable stuff. If the lad pulls his finger out and learns on the modern barley we got him to make ale then it will be used on that, more likely ( he doesn't even drink yet ) I will use it for a bit of experimental cookery, make meal from it with the Wondermill since I've been side tracked from getting the late Saxon rotary quern made ( read spent the money on shinier stuff!)

We we get quite a few frosts and some snow so there will be some killing off of bugs etc in the soil.

Got given a carrier bag of green toms so off to liquidise and boil up 4 lb of them as a base for some chutney/ pickle. The work ( play ) of a house husband is never done!

atb

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE