Carinthia Survival One or Carinthia Survival Down?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greek1983

Forager
Jan 23, 2011
Athens, Greece
My first thread! :D

Alright, I am about to go for a true winter sleeping bag. Already owning and tested the Observer Plus bivy tent and the Defence 1 from the same company, I am in a dilemma of choosing either a synthetic-filled bag or a down-filled one. I read a lot of threads here on BCUK and had a talk over several other forums over this subject, still I can't decide which one to go for.

Problem #1: I have a 65 lt backpack from my military service, and if I go for the Survival One I will definitely need a much larger rucksack, whereas with the Survival Down won't need a new purchase.

Problem #2: Down is not moisture-proof, whereas synthetic is hydrophobic.

Even though here in Greece we don't get that low temperatures, a lot of backpackers prefer down over synthetic. I was thinking of making a "system", that is using the Defence 1 as an overbag and go for the Survival Down and pack it in a waterproof stuff sack. Or mate the Down bag with the bivy tent.

In case you might ask why I opt for these models, I like the idea of centre-zip bag and integrated sleeves and thus do some basic stuff without the need of getting in and out of the bag. Don't think I'll ever be a sniper hidden in the snow and use it as a coat. :)

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
I use the Defence 4 so I'm familiar with the quality of their gear - My own preference is that I have never gone for down whether that be a jacket or a sleeping system. - comfy and warm and pack well but next to useless if soaked through.

All depends what you're going to be getting upto - but I know the first time I want to rely on a down product it will get soaked somehow with no way of drying it and Ill freeze and be eaten by wolves...im a persistent victim of sods law

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE