Carboot-loot :-D

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I scored some nice things at a carboot-sale today. Besides some chisels and files the thing I am most content with is a drawknife that cost me a euro. I wondered if anyone here knew anything about the maker and/or quality? The makers mark is a little bell and the name Ferdin Rubens stamped besides it. Further it says "9", which I suppose refers to the size.

2013-10-20+15.18.04.jpg

2013-10-20+15.18.46.jpg

It will be fun to restore it. I do not quite know how to sharpen a drawknife yet, but I think I`ll treat it as a very wide chisel. First I need to file out all the nicks and dents though.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It will be fun to restore it. I do not quite know how to sharpen a drawknife yet, but I think I`ll treat it as a very wide chisel. First I need to file out all the nicks and dents though.

Spot on there, keep the flat face flat against the stone just to take off the burrs, but do the grinding and oil/wet stone work on the beveled face. Sweet find that. Sorry, no info on the maker's mark, but google is your friend I am sure.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Thanks guys. I have started cleaning it up. I hope i now finally have a proper drawknife. A shave horse is a bit more tricky though... :)

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Spent some time on it today, flattening the back with sandpaper wrapped around a board.

2013-10-21+15.55.58.jpg

And grinding the bevel down, also with sandpaper, but this time around a board stuck in the workmate.

2013-10-21+16.00.26.jpg

I reckon that if I keep going eventually the dings will be ground out of the blade. Elbow grease and patience.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE