Caramalised Onion Chutney - Recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cheers for the heads up on Ascott BR. It looks like it could be useful to me.
GTood place for "practical no frills stuff"

For sure re-use jars stooboy. I find if I can build up a "stock" of similar size ones though, replacement lids are cheap as anything - the jars last practically forever!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bumping this because I have a mahoosive onion crop this year - so there is a large pan of onion chutney on the range fighting for space with the water bath canner that is preserving rhubarb in syrup :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, with this warm winter onions are not keeping as they should :(

I did 3 dozen jars of onion soup a couple of weeks back - today I'm using up a couple of trays making caramalised onion chutney. I waited till BB set off for her weeks work though - she has sensitive eyes. Mine seem immune these days - 18 large onions finely diced, two pints of boiling vinegar - not a tear shed :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahhh Jacko, you need to look at Bess's blog - she bakes this chutney inside the sausage rolls :)

http://www.thoroughlyenglish.co.uk/2014/01/winter-warmers-sausage-rolls.html

IMG_4289.JPG

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Ah yes, that's exactly what I meant mate. Just some nice pork sausage meat, mix it with fresh time, puff pastry, wrap the meat up with a good dollop of lovely onion chutney!!! Mmmm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
In another thread, I said:

OMG! I've still got the caramelised onion chutney to make first. But we did get offered apples the other day......

and today I had time, poor weather, and the ingredients to make a full batch. Some 4 hours later, we have many small jars of lovely caramelised onion chutney cooling on the kitchen window sill. Thanks again BR!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
For those who like their pickles and chutneys we are gradually transferring all the recipes to video since Flickr want to charge us for photo hosting. Here is the caramalised onion recipe in that format

Reactions: mwnci

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE