Carabiners

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I've looked but not found much so sorry if this has been asked a lot.

I've got a dd travel hammock and two crabs, can anyone tell me the best way to put them in - and how to do it please?

I've looked but not found much so sorry if this has been asked a lot.

I've got a dd travel hammock and two crabs, can anyone tell me the best way to put them in - and how to do it please?
Hi Rich
try to get the carabiners as close to your hammock as possible but make sure you leave enough to make a sturdy knot. My carabiners are about 6" away from the hammock when it is set up. The long piece I just doubled and fed the loop through the carabiner and put the loose ends through the loop.
Hope this helps

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Look Under Blogs for Chainsaws thread on his DD Hammock Karabiner Mod - sorry don't know how to add links

That helped me last month when I modified mine. I also got velcro sewn along the full length to keep the sleepmat in as he suggested too.

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
This is how I tie mine.

DSCN1453.jpg

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
Ah! lol, I thought there'd be more to it than that - to be honest, I hadn't really looked!

My carabiners aren't very big, I'll get bigger ones when I can afford to though.

I had a mat under me at the midlands meet, with a blanket wrapped around it and was surprised at how well it stayed in place.

Thanks guys, hopefuly I'll stay drier next time round.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
I'd've thought it would be better not to squidders, the water could just run down the crab to your hammock, one threaded through the hammock and one clipped to it would probably be good though.

Personally, I'd stick with the tried and tested method.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
can you just thread the crab through the hammock and get rid of the short webbing all together?

You can but done the way in the way illustrated above they also act as a drip ring, which can be further enhanced by tying a piece of water absorbent cloth to the side of the carab that ends up on the bottom and letting the ends of the cloth hang loose.

novembeRain

Nomad
Sep 23, 2008
lincoln
As long as they`re climbing crabs you should be okay

strictly speaking, they're not - but they are made to hold weight. They're 4" stainless (about 8mm) and lack the triangular shape (more like a snowman) but I think they'll do, especially if I tie little drip lines to them:dunno:

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
The Krab actually won't go through all the material.

The krab does act as a pretty good drip ring but it's best to dangle a bit of cord from the bottom if you know it's going to hammer it down. The only downside to the loop is you get a bit more instability (but it adds to the fun getting in it after a few beers!!)

Even though the weight is pretty much evenly distributed between the two krabs, I would always suggest you get Karabiners rated to at least 22kn (look around they are only £3-00 each).

Pablo.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cheers Pablo, that's what I was wondering...

as to the drip ring, the crab would do it regardless of how many loops of fabric there are between the crab and the hammock from 0 to 100, it's the crab not wicking moisture that does the job.

And infurther agreement with Pablo, I would always ops for overkill in the weight rating of any equipmet i'm sleeping on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE