Car boot barrel knife

Jul 11, 2010
Northants
Seeing this reminded me that I had one of these somewhere. I have now found it but cannot remember it ever having the handle. I will need to have another look around or maybe try to make one.

Jul 11, 2010
Northants
Just been given a complete barrel knife tonight. I have a complete knife made by
P Holmberg and then just folding blade by Segerstrom. Anyone any idea how much these might sell for?

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Just been given a complete barrel knife tonight. I have a complete knife made by
P Holmberg and then just folding blade by Segerstrom. Anyone any idea how much these might sell for?

I'm by no means an expert but if it's in the same kind of condition as mine I would say £60- £80, but apparently there are some rare ones that fetch much more.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Nice find!Is it maker marked?
From what ive learnt the rare ones are the small ones.Ie, blades under 3inch..ive seen a diddy one at a fair that had a 1.5cm blade!, also one with an 8inch blade.
I may be wrong but i thought the design was/is copyrighted?thats why there arent any made in this country?Sure i heard that somewhere...

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Im going very green with envy.

All I found today was a dandy glass bead necklace. Am thinking of turning it into one of those viking ones but I doubt the Norse had one with beads in the shape of fruit somehow.
Perhaps those Norsemen who sailed down the Volga may have done, unlikely though.
nice looking knife need to visit the barras to see whats on offer there

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
From what ive learnt the rare ones are the small ones.Ie, blades under 3inch..ive seen a diddy one at a fair that had a 1.5cm blade!, also one with an 8inch blade.
I may be wrong but i thought the design was/is copyrighted?thats why there arent any made in this country?Sure i heard that somewhere...

This one?

http://www.arco-iris.com/George/finski.htm

The one shown in the link is unfortunately missing its retaining clip.

SWMBO has one from her grandfather, identical to the one in the link except that it's complete.

They're all around a hundred years old. It would seem a shame to look at such a piece of history in terms of its cash value.

Any copyright expired long ago, the maker of this one died in 1915.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
They are made in France so no reason they cant be made here.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
They can be made of course but they're not easy to do. One shouldn't fit in another if done traditionally and I too have heard the smaller ones fetch more than the larger ones. I have a small one and had a larger one but can only find the smaller of the two. Both were from my grandad so I don't look at it in a monetary value, it's priceless.

Great find for £20 at a car boot indeed, I'd love to see an affordable one sometime!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE