Capes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I have ploughed through all sorts of old posts and discovered that there aapears to be an interest in capes and cloaks amongst members here. Not surprising, they can be quite versatile.
You might be interested to know that here in NZ they are available and worn by various types who live or work in the bush...
Known as butterfly capes, bush or carry capes, they allow freedom of movement and a certain amount of cover from the weather, and are popular with fencing and forestry workers and hunters who carry out their animal on their back. Not exactly an everyday item of clothing like a swannie, but you do see them about...

Here's one
Cape.jpg

It's available from www.circlembrand.com in NZ for NZ$150 (I'm not linked with them by the way!)
Other manufacturers are www.penguindierct.co.nz- they do a couple of different ones
www.timberlineinternational.com do some, as do www.squires.co.nz. (their's is not shown in there web site, but they have a stock in their shop in Wanganui.)

They are all pretty similar in shape/design, but the length of the capes varies - some longer some shorter. You want it to cover your backside, and probably down to your thighs at least.
The most expensives is the Circle M one - but it has leather straps, and a wool back/shoulder, and comes in different sizes.
At the cheaper end is the Squires one - I think about 70 bucks NZ, no lining and the straps are soft seatbelt material. It also has padded shoulders for carrying and animal or firewood.

I have been thinking about getting one for a while so I have done a bit of research....

It this sort of thing interests you, you could get onto Google NZ, and search butterfly capes etc, or get in touch with one of these companies direct. (Try phoning first before email - I don't think we do as much business electronically as UK/US etc). They are pretty small outfits by global standards, and I reckon if you wanted something altered/different they would make it up no problem. (Friendly like that, down here:))

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE