canvas tentipi cleaning?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello
i need advice about cleaning my canvas tentipi. Last time i was out in it, a bird of some kind took the biggest and messiest dump down the side of my kata, it was two distinct kinds, the usual white stuff, and a suprisingly large amount of black stuff that seems to have soaked in. I tried just wiping it, but with little effect, and im worried it will affect the waterproofing and, even worse, may rot the canvas.
Anyone got any advice about cleaning and whether i will need to reproof the canvas afterwards?
cheers

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
do the manufacturers not give instructions?
failing that i would personally use mild soapy water and then reproof when dry with something like fabsil? you can get it from camping shops. i cant vouch for whether or not this will work . but its just a thought hope it helps :D

tom

when i was in the army we used to proof our combats with electrolube for engines didnt affect the material other than darkening faded combats

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
As Tom suggests, soap and water and a bit of scrubbing then re-proofing would be the simplest. Slightly more sophisticated, you could get a small bottle of Nikwax Footwear Cleaning Gel to clean it up before re-proofing. You can get a free sample bottle here if you complete the quiz.

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
Don't put Fabsil on a tentipi.
The canvas is inpregnated with a wax and should only be proofed with a wax. I use one of Nikwax spray on jobs.
I don't think that any detergent would be a good idea either. Luke warm water only or with a wee bit of Nikwax Tech Wash (this a pure soap) and I'd be a bit reluctant to use that.
Tentipi do sell reproofing wax but it costs £60 for 5 gallon IIRC and thats the smallest they do.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
cheers for the advice everyone :)
I mailed the people at tentipi aswell and they only recommend the use of warm water, or possibly of acapella cleaner, which is the same brand as their impregnating agent for reproofing.They can't send either the reproofer or the cleaner from sweden during the winter, though, as they can be frost damaged apparently, and it's minus 10 there already!
I'll have another go with just warm water and try and sort out something for the reproof, it's a relatively small area and i definately dont need 5 gallons!
cheers again :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE