Canvas tent making

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
My wife and I are currently making a canvas wall tent for a new years eve camping trip to Algonquin park. We are using heavy canvas painters drop cloths for the body of the tent, a silicone baking sheet for the stove jack and lots of nylon thread and webbing. I should have some pics up by the end of today or early tomorrow. My friend that will be braving the minus ten to twenty degree weather with me has provided the stove.

The tent will be 10'x8' and about 5 1/2' high when completed.......

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It is worth considering a flysheet on a tent that size in the Winter. It's more to carry and rig but it makes a world of difference reducing heat loss trough the canopy. Mrs Bilmo & I often Winter camp in an Icelandic (or 2) and wouldn't dream of only having a single skin above us, even in our relatively mild UK winters.

TriangleGroup.jpg

LittleWhiteHo.jpg

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Yes, good advice....we will be rigging a tarp over the tent. Not too worried about the carry weight. We each have a pulk and rather large packs and not too far to go. Would rather be a little tired and nice and warm! here it is rolled up. 24" long and 10" diameter. We should have it erected tomorrow.
b89329c3-9899-95a8.jpg

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
What sewing machine are you using? Don't think my Toyota would cope with that...

Poundland now sell silicone baking sheets

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Fabric Bazaar in Glasgow said that they were getting in three different weights of canvas, John, estimated at under £5 a metre. That was less than a month ago. I'll ask again next time I'm in.

cheers,
M

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
What proofing/treatment is required for those decorating canvases? I'm thinking of these as a source of canvas for a project...
We've used heavy canvas before for tent making, but that was proofed canvas..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390317403698?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Depnding on your application and the canvas itself, you may not need to proof it, but if it has to be proofed I'd go with Fabsil; It's what I use for proofing cotton canvas etc. It is cheaper to buy a lot than a little - 5L is abt £20, 2.5L is abt £12, 400ml aerosol is abt £8.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
What sewing machine are you using? Don't think my Toyota would cope with that...

Poundland now sell silicone baking sheets

We are using a fairly inexpensive Kenmore machine from sears.....we take it slow and it has very little problem coping. So far we have broken 2 needles but this was in a spot with several layers overlapping. We solved the breaking needles by turning the machine by hand through the thick areas.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Here's a pic of the stove flange made from a silicone baking sheet, we will be putting a flap on it to cover it in if we don't intend on using the stove.

b89329c3-179c-818f.jpg

Here is a shot of our wee little sewing machine that has done a lot of hard work for us!

b89329c3-17c8-ccde.jpg

mbiraman

Tenderfoot
Oct 17, 2011
West Kootenays,BC
Look forward to more pics. Hope you folks get some decent cold weather for your outing. We just got blasted with a foot of very wet snow on top of the foot we had already fallowed by rain and warm temps so it has turned everything into cement and the west coast is on severe avalanche warning.

Captaincrash

Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Didnt get the canvas tent done in time for our trip but went anyways with a crappy summer tent.....I will start work on the canvas tent next week again. Weather was -5 celcius and clear the first day.....-5 and breezy the first night making it a cold sleep and yesterday the weather tuned ugly so we hiked out. Wet snow changing to rain and very windy!! I will post up a couple pics shortly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE