Canvas pouch copy

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I had the old 'Jones' sewing machine out again last night as I continue to try to learn how to master it. I decided to copy the little canvas pouches I've seen on here and for sale on a few websites. I don't think the result is too bad, I need to learn how to turn corners whilst sewing though. The material ends inside need to be sealed to stop them fraying I bought some stuff for that in the local sewing shop. I learnt that the machine can't deal with shed loads of layers of the material but overall I'm happy with my progress. I doubt I'll use either of the pouches but they were interesting to experiment with, next stop cordura!

IMG_0470.jpgIMG_0471.jpgIMG_0472.jpgIMG_0473.jpg

The US pilot flask pouch and the possibles pouch together

IMG_0474.jpg

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks good to me, well done.
I have been doing the same thing today making canvas sacks, two of and a canvas pouch for stock.
To sew round corners, on the turn, leave the needle in the material and lift up the pressure foot, turn the material, then drop the pressure foot and away you go.
As for the edges fraying, you can sew a binding stitch down the edges first, or if you haven't got that sew a tight zig zag stitch on the edges first, I sometimes turn the edges over first, then make the project whatever it may be.

Good luck.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers for the advice guys, didn't know about the line of stitching to stop the fraying that'll do the very thing. ZigZag stitch is too futuristic for this machine probably the finest soviet make. I did make the canteen pouch Dread, it's for the US pilots flask, again it was more for the experiment than actual use, lots of learning in them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE