Canvas bucket shower........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Guys and Gals,

I've been scratching around trying to find one of those canvas bucket type showers............you know the type with a shower rose that you screw up / down to turn the water on / off.

Can't seem to find one on the internet anywhere.

I've found loads of the plastic "solar shower" type, but I want the canvas bucket type that you fill with hot water and hoist up on a branch.

Anyone know of a place I could get one?

Dave

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have not tried them myself but have you thought of trying one of these.

ON28_250.jpg

It's a Ortlieb water sack and it can be used as drybag, water carrier and as a shower if you also get one of there shower valves.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
Last week we made a quick shower out of a plastic bag, a cardboard ring and some orange gaffa tape...Still like to get a shower head for a water bag though, someone at the camp mentioned camelbacks (?sp) had an optional showerhead to use with the bags.

Attachments

• shower1.JPG
    shower1.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 141

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Thanks for the links guys & sorry for delay in replying (work getting in the way!) Looks like I'll be buying a canvas bucket from a ships' chandler and fitting my own rose on somehow.

I agree that solar showers are good Phil, but alas they don't heat up at night and I don't fancy trying to pour the contents of a hot billy into the little filler hole!

....................now to try to source the shower rose in the UK!

Dave

gunnix

Nomad
Mar 5, 2006
Belgium
I'm looking for just the same! Didn't find it anywhere yet tough, just those plastic solar showers, I'd like a canvas one because I bet they last much longer!

Guess I'll be making one of my own as well..

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
I think I may have found what you guys are after (but made out of olive green PVC rather than canvas):- about 2/3 of the way down the page at Unbeatentracks 25 Liter Portable PVC Shower Unit (collapsible to save space).

Not exactly cheap ...... £41.50! But I suspect it will last for quite a while.

Edit: Oh and forgot to say. Assuming you are vehicle based (i think the above shower is a bit large to backpack!) the best method for heating up water (enough for one person) is to use a galvanized steel bucket (which are surprisingly hard to find these days?!?) on a fire ......... or for large groups at long term camp an old oil drum.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
Dave the Ortlieb one will have a large opening since it is really just a dry bag with a valve it the bottom. They also state that if you get the black one it will also work as a solar shower if the weather is better than the usual british summer ;)

Surrey Yeoman said:
Thanks for the links guys & sorry for delay in replying (work getting in the way!) Looks like I'll be buying a canvas bucket from a ships' chandler and fitting my own rose on somehow.

I agree that solar showers are good Phil, but alas they don't heat up at night and I don't fancy trying to pour the contents of a hot billy into the little filler hole!

....................now to try to source the shower rose in the UK!

Dave

Naruska

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 15, 2006
Finland
Feredays safari equipment in Harare, Zimbabwe stock this kind of stuff...Southern Africa in general is the home of "how to camp in style..."

My boss in Africa once told me that ..."any old fool can be uncomfortable in the bush..." :)

Marko

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
I searched for one of these for ages and eventually gave up and made my own out of an old heavy canvas tent bag.

I fitted a standard watering can rose to a short length of 15mm copper tube using a jubilee clip. This in turn was connected to a standard flow valve (about £5 from B & Q) with a large red handle, meaning you can turn the water on\off. This is a useful setup but does mean you need to hoist the bag higher as the valve is quite long. Another problem is that the flow valve is quite heavy, causing the centre of the bag to sag. I overcame this by placing a large disk of plastic (I think the top of an old fence paint container) in the bottom.

I gave the canvas bag lots of coats of Thompsons water seal and put a few bras eyes in the top, giving me something to haul it up by. Everything is detachable and fits inside the bag, making is a handy portable bit of kit. The brass eye's also mean you can fit a draw cord to keep everything safe. I put a lenght of cord and karabiner in the bag to pull it up over a tree branch)

One piece I would give if you were planning on making your own is think who much water you actually need to have a decent shower. I made mine way to big - I reckon it would hold enough water for about 3 or showers (or maybe one long one with a 'friend'!!!!)

Mat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE