Canvas bivvy bag, UK issue 1965?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

daf187

Jun 8, 2010
Monmouth, Wales.
I picked up a canvas bivvy bag from Ebay in a drunken bidding frenzy, has anyone got any info on military issue bags from the 60s?

It's olive green canvas with a green wool liner, steel zip one side and white stock number printed on it, dated 1965.

In my cadet days I had lots of old '58 issue gear, but never came across a bivvy bag other than the nylon ones that came before goretex. Any ideas? Maybe US issue? It's a cool piece of gear, I'd be grateful to learn a bit more about it.

When I get organised I'll send attach a pic.

Ta,

Daf

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Is there an army part number, if so if it contains -99- it's British if it has -00- it's US if that's some help. It sounds like the military issue for Arctic/extreme cold weather.

daf187

Jun 8, 2010
Monmouth, Wales.
Heh, yes I'm guessing it's British from 1952, just wondered if anyone had seen one before. As a nipper i was an army surplus fanatic and had all sorts of khaki nonsense in my bedroom from ww2 onwards, but this has left me stumped.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Looks similar to a WWII officers sleeping bag cover which was canvas with a wool liner. The date suggests Korean war era.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Looks like a good bit of kit, not seen one my self, did you get it from a shop or private trader on ebay?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
As has been said very similar to the ww2 version(ww2 version tended to be khaki,and didnt have press studs) im sure there is a way of telling(slight differances) if the w/d stamp was from another country eg Canada India and Australia all used it during ww2 but there was a slight differance to each /|\ But i cant remember off hand what each one is. any markings on the studs zip etc that might narrow it down,defo not American though.

daf187

Jun 8, 2010
Monmouth, Wales.
Interesting points, udamiano, Dogoak and Andybysea thanks.
Ozzy1977 I got it from a private sale on ebay, but the seller didn't know anything about it.
RonW the wool looks in great shape, considering it's 60 years old. Can't wait to try it out.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
It's a British military issue bed roll cover, I had one in my yoooof, a great bit of kit. If you are Daniel Boone enthusiast you have the dogs for your sleeping arrangements. I wish I still had mine, good find.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
in the early 1980s i had a canvas 'bivy' type bag that i bought from an army surplus store, it was canvas with wool lining and had tie cords down one side for closure (no zip) the head section was like a large pocket to stuff for pillow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE