Canvas Bedroll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Bedroll.jpg

Many years ago I had a Second World War Officers Bedroll which I used as a weather resistant cover for my sleeping bag. It wasn’t as waterproof as a bivi bag but it kept the bag in good shape under rough conditions and was comfortable to use.

As I’ve been using a hammock mostly for the last decade it’s been stowed away and was getting pretty tatty anyway so with the purchase of my new Baker tent which will see a return to ground sleeping for me, I decided to make a new cover along the same lines.

I started with a 2m length of 14oz canvas, 72" wide and folded in two, sewn into a bucket for the feet, edged with cotton webbing and with ties of the same down the side to close it up. The long ties you see for binding the roll, also serve to secure a pillow when sleeping.

For packing, you stuff the bedding down into the foot bucket and then roll the canvas around the whole thing.

Here it has the two bag system I used in the Arctic but I'll probably just use a couple of blankets on a cotton stuffed palliasse atop a stretcher when I'm in the tent.

Last edited:

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Bedroll-I.jpg

Here you go, don't say I'm not good to you.

I managed to shuffle things around to find some carpet space ( No small task in our household.)

Not the best of pictures but this shows it unrolled with a couple of blankets in it for normal use.

The foot bucket ends at the point where you might notice a slight re-enforcement to the edging near the base and the ties down the side allow you to have it open or closed as much as you like.

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nice work

and thanks for the heads up on the material

I think it woould work perfect for a hasversack/knapsack I've had my mind on

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
Winter / Arctic use was certainly one of the purposes I had in mind for it when planning / making it.

It's not light but much more breathable than a goretex bivi and the weight is less of an issue on a toboggan.

I use a toboggan as soon as the snow is good enough. Used it for 4 weekend trips and one 8 day trip last year and I agree weight is less of an issue. It's the breathability and robustness to protect an air mattress etc.

Reactions: Wayland

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It would certainly do that. I normally use a thin folding foam mat under my down mat to reduce the risk of punctures. Very little weight penalty but nice for reassurance.

I wish I could get out into conditions like that more often. We get maritime weather in this country, wet and relatively warm in winter. I need to fly up into the Scandinavian Arctic to get proper dry cold conditions.

Last edited:

sgtoutback

Nomad
Jun 29, 2010
Near the fundy
A friend uses a hypalon groundsheet which is almost indestructible. But the cost for that stuff is stupid. Last season I used a thermarest ridgerest solite, but think this season I will make some thing like yours.

Canada is pretty great for trips like that too. Even here in Nova Scotia we get decent weather for it. Though out west it's even better.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE