Can't decide!!!!!!!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Hi guys,
I was wondering if any of you could help me out. I am about to purchase a Tenth Wonder hammocks in the next month or so. I have settled on a Hornet in black. I can't decide if i should get the 1.8m one or the double zip one.

Can some of you just tell me the advantages and the disadvantages of having double zips and the advantages and disavantages of having an extra wide hammock. also could you please give you verdict.

Also whats you verdict on the Tarp with doors. Should i get that or another tarp like the zoid or the Sargasso. This is my first Hammock and Tarp buy so please be nice. :)

Here's Tenth Wonders shop- http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tenth-Wonder-Hammocks

Thanks for your help in advance

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Tenth wonder stuff is very good and an alternative to the DD.

I went for the hornet as it was 2.5mtrs, and being 6ft 6" it fitted me perfectly. Having too much space rather than not enough with give you a much better sleep.
It was well made and probably did 50 or so outings before I went with a custom job, purely for a foot-box and a flatter lay (trapped nerve).

Double zips allow them to be central (rather than at one end, or tuther when shut) which helps find your way out for a 3am pee. Timing is critical with these things!

If you can get a hornet, they come highly rated by a few on here. as for tarps with doors, maybe one day, but it will be for deep winter hammocking only. Its too nice to
exclude the view in spring/summer.

al.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
By double zip i mean like zips on both sides. also with the tarp with doors you can remove them so no problems their. So in winter do you think the tarp will be good.
Thanks for your help! :)

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
No probs. Not sure what purpose zips on ether side would serve... both mine just had one on the left shoulder.

Tarps are all good, but I'm looking at a superfly (tarp with doors) for winter because a cross wind in summer can be pleasurable, winter very uncomfortable. I guess its better to have doors and not use them most of the time, and hunker down if the weather turns or its the cold season.

I don't think you could go wrong with what you are already looking at to be honest.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Om so i think ill get the 1.8m. Do you have an under blanket. If so which one. Im a bit unsure of what to get. They seem pretty expensive to me. I want to do some winter camping as well but im guessing you need and under quilt for that.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Zips on either side give you a choice of entry and exit once you've pitched, so you can alter the head end to suit conditions.

Hmmm... I just tend to adjust the tarp shape should the weather change, but i guess that makes sense.

Enjoy the purchase when you get around to it, and dont forget to put a report up :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Tarp doors are a godsend in the winter :)

DSCN0814.jpg

DSCN0706.jpg

Year round really. You get all the benefits with none of the disadvantages, other than a little extra weight.

The doors fold back to allow the view right in.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I will. I've noticed there aren't enough review of tenth wonder stuff on the internet so i will do a though review ion the review section and do a vid on my channel on YouTube.
Thanks
Jacob

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Im more than happy with my Snugpak underquilt. Yes there not cheap but worth every penny. I have tried a self inflating mat but cant beet being cocooned when its a bit nippy.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Im more than happy with my Snugpak underquilt. Yes there not cheap but worth every penny. I have tried a self inflating mat but cant beet being cocooned when its a bit nippy.

OK when ive got enough i will purchase one. Probably be in the early winter. Do you know where to get them because DD hammocks have sold out.
Thanks
Jacob

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
And there's all ways the option of making an underquilt from a budget sleeping bag. Or a five pound foam mat with added shoulder flaps does a very good job.

I was thinking of that. How would you modify it. Are there any threads on it. I'm quite intrigued.
Thanks
Jacob

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
As mountainm has said have a go at making one. Not really difficult and the feeling of satisfaction when its done is great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE