Canoes..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Bob said:
MBM

I believe there is a good canoe shop in Bournemouth itself which sells an inflatable canoe by Stearns for around £ 350. It weighs around 20 kg though so I don't know if biking it around would be feasible?! I too would be keen to hear peoples' opinions as I have been tempted to get one myself.

Regards

Bob :)
20k would be no problem on the bike at all and the price seems very reasonable, what shop is it? PM me if you like.

The other thing I have been wondering about is the legality of paddling. What permits and licences do you need if any? anyone got any ideas?

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
I've been looking at inflatables and realised that they're not always the beach toys I'd assumed they would be. Does anyone have any experiances with inflatables? Are they worth the dosh?

Personally I wouldent go for inflatables. They are very difficult to control in windy conditions and can be downright dangerous.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i would also stear clear of the inflatables if you can avoid them.. i understand that its going to be difficult to get anything else on you bike.. but i wouldnt take one of those things near moving water or the sea!

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
A folding kayak is yer only man. Some German chap crossed the atlantic in one in 1928. They weigh no more than an inflatable and you dont need to carry a pump around.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
hey all,

what do you all think..?

I`ve found a Mad River Explorer 14ft TT for £600.

I`ve paddled Mad River canoes, although not this model, and really liked them. This one is comparable with an Old Town of the same size at this price.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
cheers, its always nice to have a little confirmation although i know how good the make is when its a serious amount of cash i`m parting with.

now tom tom, how do i get the gf thinking this is a good idea? :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I've just got back from a trip out in the canoe, bloody rained on and off all day, and now it's sunny!! Typical. I shared the lake with a few swans and a bunch of ducks, and I had an enjoyable day.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
http://www.pakboats.com/ do a folding canoe and kayak at a very reasonable price compared to everyone else, and with good dollar exchange rates at the mo' I'm tempted myself! As usual, any retailer in Rip Off Britain charges more in Sterling than the Americans charge in Dollars. Bit of a no brainer there then... I was looking at the Puffin series which is a kayak, but can be used without the top cover and can be used like a canoe in this respect. Obviously it is a compromise, but I'm sure that if the compromise is acceptable, then it should fit the bill! Packs into a small pack, so could easily be carried by bike. Trips to Poole harbour, or my old favourite-Mudeford harbour would be easy. You can go up the Avon to Bridge Street (not far really) or the Stour only as far as Iford Bridge, but it's a nice way to spend a few hours. I would launch out of Mudeford Quay and paddle up stream and then return with the flow all in an evening. In fact the more i think about it, then the more I think I'll get one of these, as it's the only way to get a canoe in an MX5 that I can think of, and I can also take it on a plane.

B

Bob Hurley

Probably not suitable for your needs but I have a Copperhead pirogue by Ron Chapman. They're kinda scary for new canoeists, but the whitewater guides that have tried mine love it - even though whitewater is the last place you'd want to take it.

http://www.pirogue.com/

I'd like to have one of his Evangeline canoes for larger loads, the little Copperhead isn't really big enough for two people.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Motorbike Man said:
I've wanted to get ino paddling for a while now but I've always been held back because of transporting a canoe on a motorbike :eek:

To give Motorbike man a bit of hope, I was talking to an Outdoor Activity Instructor the other day who remembered that he had seen a Kayak on a motorbike before - he had a bracket made to strap on the side. It must have been hell leaning into the corners :eek:

Also, Fallow Way quote;

I`ve found a Mad River Explorer 14ft TT for £600.

My 18 year old son paddles one of these and loves it - very light and responsive, and he can easily lay it over on its edge. He has the 14ft Plastic (not Royalex) and he paid around the same amount of money.

He bought his boat from Woods Mill in Southampton, and they had a demo boat for him to try.

Good luck, and let us know how you get on.

Graham.

GrahamD

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 2, 2004
Sussex
Chopper said:
I dont know if this is of interest to anyone but I found a web site to the canoe camping club of GB.

www.canoecampingclub.co.uk/

:)

Crikey, I'm spending my evening replying to Quotes all night.

I am a member of the CCC and they are a good bunch. In the South East of England they run a Coaching weekend on the Thames for members in June, and they are having a come and try this weekend on the Thames again, but you have to be a member of the parent club, Camping & Caravanning Club to take part (I think).

We've done lots of our training with the CCC - 1 & 2* Canoe, and the best week of the year for us is a family week on the River Wye, held over the Whitsun week where you can go out with organised groups every day if you want to. That's why I won't be at the BCUK gathering.

Graham.

S

Skippy

a real cool sit on top kayak, i am buying in a few weeks, called ocean prowler 13 angler. brilliant for camping
also a weird but good one is the 'ambush' excellent alrounder, but sadly discontinued

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Motorbike Man said:
Thanks for the info and links guys, I'm definately goig to have a look at the CCC, that looks just like the place I need :D

has that thing got knee straps.. you would have a hell-of-a job to role it :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE