Canoes & Kayaks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
Well, if we're posting pics of our canoes. Here's Jus Chillin.

nocando.jpg

This image of us just having paddled through Knockando on the Spey, part of our trip from Newtonmore to Spey Bay some years ago.

I frequently paddle this boat solo despite it being seventeen feet, though it's done many miles as you see it above. We've also had six in there while messing about. It gets poled, paddled, sailed and portaged on canals, rivers and the sea. Truly marvelous bit of kit!

Al

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
I pick up my new baby next week but having never sailed before I think there'll be a lot of wobbling around on Loch Lomond over the summer getting the hang of it before venturing further afield.
Huge thanks to Toddy for introducing us. :)

MacG_04.jpg

MacG_06.jpg

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I pick up my new baby next week but having never sailed before I think there'll be a lot of wobbling around on Loch Lomond over the summer getting the hang of it before venturing further afield.

MacG_04.jpg

MacG_06.jpg

Next week eh ? :red: :red:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
:red: indeed. :)

I've been botching up a mast out of the punting pole, a bunch of jubilee clips and bent welding rods and am chomping at the bit.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

That is lovely :D

And since were posting photos of our canoes, me and my better half out for a wee paddle...

trip23.jpg

jonnno

Forager
Mar 19, 2009
Belfast
This is my Old Town Charles River. It fits nicely with bushcrafting - you can paddle somewhere remote and with a Canadian you can bring loads of gear for camping and cooking.

DSCF1439.jpg

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I've only gone canoeing a few times, not anywhere special though, just out on the lake near here. Don't own one or anything and really know nothing about them but I want to eventually get one and learn the basics, maybe go on some trips down some river... Sounds like a lot of fun and handy for getting to the more remote locations, as long as you don't fall out and end up like that boreal forest episode of survivorman (which is actually the river I was thinking of eventually paddling down), of course that's when bushcraft could really come in handy!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Here are a couple of pictures of one of my 4 canoes...
Apr28958.jpg

On the Gwilli - paddled by me
Apr02_50-1.jpg

On the Tivy with Humpback doing the work!

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
hi guy's,

i did some canoeing when i was younger but not for a while, just lately tho having moved to tiverton on the banks of the river exe, i'd really fancy taking it up again, found some good links on this site to building my own, which would be fun, anyone had a go??

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I like Grooveski's wooden vessel. What a beauty! Whose design is that please? I assume that it is an older design as it has lovely lines and could be adapted up to a larger scale.

My vessel is 21' x 6' and although not really a canoe is so similar in shape.(beach launched too) Excuse me, I'm just following a train of thought. I have a 'sprit rig' for easy handling.

I have passed folks on the London river looking like they were having a great time. My plans for this year are to visit the Broads although I'm not sure where to start.

Dave_the_Pilgrim I look with interest at your post....I will PM you if you don't mind please. I am not confident in a canoe as I find them difficult to steer and my knees don't bend well now!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like Grooveski's wooden vessel. What a beauty! Whose design is that please? I assume that it is an older design as it has lovely lines and could be adapted up to a larger scale.

My vessel is 21' x 6' and although not really a canoe is so similar in shape.(beach launched too) Excuse me, I'm just following a train of thought. I have a 'sprit rig' for easy handling.

I have passed folks on the London river looking like they were having a great time. My plans for this year are to visit the Broads although I'm not sure where to start.

Dave_the_Pilgrim I look with interest at your post....I will PM you if you don't mind please. I am not confident in a canoe as I find them difficult to steer and my knees don't bend well now!

If you are ever over this way I reckon I owe you a days tuition - I will sort out your steering:D

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Now that's a very kind offer John. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately I don't see me getting to your beautiful side of the country for quite some time yet. I will certainly let you know if and when though!

Cheers from Swyn.

Feb 5, 2008
Datchet
Now that's a very kind offer John. Thank you very much.

Unfortunately I don't see me getting to your beautiful side of the country for quite some time yet. I will certainly let you know if and when though!

Cheers from Swyn.

Ye but your not far from me swyn. I'm no coach but I have a spair seat if you fancy a paddle you'd be welcome.

Dan

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow

It's a macgregor sailing canoe designed recently by a chap from Skye called Iain Oughtred.
The plans include two sizes and two(or maybe three) rig configurations, this is the short model(13'8") with the single mast.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Thanks for that Grooveski.

I met Iain Oughtred some years ago at the Wooden Boat show in Beale park, but did not associate him with this design which is obvious when you see it! I have a couple of his books, one of which was very helpful during the two year restoration of my little sailing vessel.

I hope you have as much fun in this as she looks!

Regards, Swyn.

Vildmannen

Oct 4, 2009
Sweden
Well, living in Stockholm with the beutifull archipelago just a few minutes away, you really should own a Kayak or a Canoe.

I did a whole lot of Kayaking in the military, and now, some ten years later I just bought myself a Klepper 1SL 490 and despite the big chunk of my savings that i spent I will never regret this purchase.
(And I have to confess that it is acutally even nicer not having to paddle for 36 hours straight if you don't want to, ahh, the liberties and comforts of civilian life... )

mail7.jpg

By vildmannen at 2009-10-19[/IMG]

The main reason I bought a Klepper was that I knew them well from the service, and the fact that I live in an apartment, just dismantle it and it will fit in my tiny basement storage!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I've been dribbling over pictures on the internet again :eek:

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Eureka/Eurekacanoespage2.html

These pics in fact...

$75 for the plans and then lots of swearing, sawing, swearing, sweating, smoothing, sanding and, hopefully, paddling at the end of it - almost a perfect run of Ss, such a pity I didn't think to use sailing instead of paddling.

Anyone got any opinions on self build stich and glue plywood canoes before I spend £40 on the plans?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE