Canoe trip ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I was wondering this morning....I would really like to continue my canoeing, though no where locally does anything but the dreaded kayak.

Along with this, i would like to do a canoe trip, living off the rations the HBC used to issue to its Voyageurs, anyone with a canoe interested in something like this or a trip in general?

Also, any advice where to pick up a open top canoe for a decent price? I`ve been told ex-military ones are good but i`ve not seen anywhere that sells them.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
You can still hire canadian canoes on the river Wye. I had a pleasant day out with friends there many years ago. We hired from somewhere in Hay on Wye if I remember rightly. It was very easy paddling at the time, the river wasn't specially high. While this wouldn't offer a great challenge I vividly remember watching my first ever pair of kingfishers.

Back then, the canadian style canoes were made by Coleman of the USA, we had one made from the same plastic as the rotary moulded kayaks that were just appearing back then, the other in aluminium. Both worked ! I suspect the plastic ones are tougher.

Cheers

Sep 25, 2003
kent
im in the process of learning open canoeing and am looking to do a trip in spring, it took me a while to find a club that had any interest in open canoes, as far as buying one goes just join the biggest club you can find , at the one i joined they can negotiate a 35% discount on new prices, which makes it more attractive than buying secondhand, as used canadian canoes always fetch a high price, ours does a purchase once a year.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Those colemans are the business. I used to do alot of Kayaking, and plastic boats are great, you can scrape them over rocks and generally bash them about without doing any harm. The aluminium ones can rip, but can be tig welded back up. If you just fancy pottering around the lakes, the cedar strip canoes look gorgeos, but are about a grand a time.
I was working at the Southampton boatshow this year. And there was a stand there doing the colemans from £250 brand new. I prefered the larger 3 man (or 2 and some camping gear :wink: ) which was about £350. The old towns are alot dearer, upto the £1K kkind of mark.
There was also a guy selling kit form plywood canoes, about £200 for the kit. But if he would sell us aset of plans....
Another boatshow coming up in January so i'll keep you posted if there are any bargains.
Cheers
Rich

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i have to do 2 5hr canoe rips before the end of the week!

part of my 3 star canoe assessment!

i have a horible feeling i shall have to do the trips in the fens area!

does anyone know any good rivers in the area?

i was thinking the river "ouse" or "Nar" are they any good?

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
I have my 3 star, found teh sailing portion very entertaining, making a sail out of whatever we had to hand, ended up with a fleet of hootchie powered canoes, Ray said he feared the vikings were back, was a very impressive sight :)

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Quick update of the trip idea...

Have a bunch of canoe hire companies getting back to me, based on the Wye. All that those who would take part have to take is kit, clothes and HBC rations.

More as and when...
Provisionally thinking of doing it Easter weekend in April 2004.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:rolmao:
we did this in scotland down loch ericht, we made rafts with 3 canoes and sailed using a group shelter we shot down it doing about 5knots!
:lol:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i'd be interested, timing dependant, i'm hoping to do a walk in april, don't know what swmbo would say about loosing me for the month.

cheers, and.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE