Canoe touring advice needed.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
Do any of you have any suggestions in terms of canoeing on lakes starting and finishing at same place with an overnighter or two during the journey?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Definitely something I'm interested in. Never done it and some time in the future want to with partner and young son. Either hire a canoe or buy one.

I'd have thought loch Lomond might be suitable for a first trip. Coniston water has a few places to get on the water and I know of one Island you could camp on. People certainly have before. Derwent water is another lake District lake people canoe on with overnights on some Islands or the shore. A friend did a paid tour there with overnights so there's companies offering that sort of activity around.

Reactions: Hodge

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
IIRC on Derwent water the South eastern edge of the lake has wildcamping spots. I believe the friend who did a trip started on the river flowing into the southern end then up the lake. I think they camped by the river one day them Eastern coast of the lake another, possibly an island too. Not sure of the details but a another mate did show where he wildcamped on the southern end of the eastern coast of the lake.

Coniston has hidden cove from swallows and amazons book on an island across from Brown Howe. It's a small, wooded Island with a few flat camping spots. People camp this island and not all have been responsible but I guess some visitors tidy it up because it isn't convered by rubbish.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
IIRC on Derwent water the South eastern edge of the lake has wildcamping spots. I believe the friend who did a trip started on the river flowing into the southern end then up the lake. I think they camped by the river one day them Eastern coast of the lake another, possibly an island too. Not sure of the details but a another mate did show where he wildcamped on the southern end of the eastern coast of the lake.

Coniston has hidden cove from swallows and amazons book on an island across from Brown Howe. It's a small, wooded Island with a few flat camping spots. People camp this island and not all have been responsible but I guess some visitors tidy it up because it isn't convered by rubbish.

Cat Island I think it's called? We went up for a day paddle a couple of weeks ago, covered in people during the day we avoided it like the plague.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Cat Island I think it's called? We went up for a day paddle a couple of weeks ago, covered in people during the day we avoided it like the plague.
We used to do beginner's trips on Coniston with lunch stops there in summer. If hot we would dive off some of the rocks creating hidden cove. Assuming lake levels weren't exceptionally low of course. Nothing better than a summer's paddle with a sudden very cold dunking as you dive in to the cold water!!

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

pieinthesky

Forager
Jun 29, 2014
Northants
The more sheltered lochs on the Scottish west coast looked very appealing when we were up there in a motorhome a couple of years ago. The midges can be evil though.

You can do out and back trips on most rivers providing the current is manageable, best to head upstream first. You can usually find places to wild camp. Myself and daughter have done a few trips like this but never more than one night. You do have to navigate locks and weirs which is not always easy, particularly if there is no right of navigation (no canal boats) as land owners do like their Private, No Entry, Get Out, No Canoeing, F off, and How dare you breath signs :)

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Loch Maree is a classic but will be a wee bit "fly-y" at this time of year

Maybe consider joining The Song of the Paddle group to focus the information you need.

Whatever you do, be careful and have fun.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Do any of you have any suggestions in terms of canoeing on lakes starting and finishing at same place with an overnighter or two during the journey?
What are you paddling? You mention "canoe" but sometimes people confuse the actual type of craft and that can make a big difference, so is it a canoe , kayak, inflatable, sit on top?

Are you looking for overnight parking, or will you be dropped off/picked up?

SOTP is definitely a good bet for anything paddle camp/ extended paddle tripping advice.

Loch Shiel is a good location for out and back paddling if you park at the hotel at the top end (they used to be happy to let you park and take your details, in case of emergency etc but that might not still be so)

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Oliver G

Sep 15, 2012
Ravenstone, Leicestershire
There are a few places on the Trent that you can hire a canoe for a couple of days, camp out then they will pick you up at the end, if you finish up near Swarkestone I can always run you home.

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
What are you paddling? You mention "canoe" but sometimes people confuse the actual type of craft and that can make a big difference, so is it a canoe , kayak, inflatable, sit on top?

Are you looking for overnight parking, or will you be dropped off/picked up?

SOTP is definitely a good bet for anything paddle camp/ extended paddle tripping advice.

Loch Shiel is a good location for out and back paddling if you park at the hotel at the top end (they used to be happy to let you park and take your details, in case of emergency etc but that might not still be so)
I am paddling an Apache trek 15 canoe. Have a trip planned for summer 2021 for Loch Lomond. Will be testing kit with my canoeing partner on Bala Lake beforehand, possibly in the Spring. Hodge

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I am paddling an Apache trek 15 canoe. Have a trip planned for summer 2021 for Loch Lomond. Will be testing kit with my canoeing partner on Bala Lake beforehand, possibly in the Spring. Hodge

That's a nice boat - I took mine down the Spey last year and it behaved really well (though I did come out :)). To be honest I don't think it's quite big enough two-up and fully loaded for a multi day trek (not on rivers anyway); but that depends on the size of both paddlers of course :).

You don't say how much experience you have so sorry if you know all this. There can be quite a fetch on Bala with waves out from the shoreline that will easily turn you over broadside.

rancid badger

Ah right then so a proper canoe. if you've never had any, I'd strongly advise getting some proffesional coaching.

I paddled for a couple of years a bit like too many people, just making it up as I went along and that sort of worked but I never really felt confident deep down.
Then I hit lucky and had bit of training with a local 5 star coach called Kim Bull and honestly never looked back. Boats became "lively and responsive" instead of "tippy" and I could make the boat do what I wanted, when I wanted, rather than the boat dictating the trip. I learned that you can use waves and wind to get you where you want to be and also just how far over a boat will go before you lose it and your over.

There are lots of folk who claim they've never had a single days coaching or training or whatever and they get along fine.

Well done them.

Some of the stuff you get taught or shown is simple, some is a bit more complicated but you get to try things out in a totally safe environment with immediate assistance if you need it. More importantly, you get proper safety information and training-priceless.

All you need are the basic skills, not BCU star awards, unless you fancy that direction of course.

I went from just splashing about to this sort of thing, in a few hours.

And then I started using a sail too. The sailing was a doddle but the quick two mile paddle up the lake, into the wind was a result of knowing how to handle my boat;)

Good luck

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Hodge

Forager
Aug 3, 2018
West Midlands
In terms of experience I have paddled the Spey, Tay, Lochy and Findhorn during my post graduate Diploma in Outdoor Education. Additionally, paddled Dordogne whilst teaching Outdoor Education in France. Due to age and some physical issues I will not be paddling white water just content with paddling from A to B and then camping each night.

rancid badger

Would have helped to know you're already fully bombed up paddling and outdoors wise. :)

So you're literally just looking for parking/put ins-take outs? :D

Well with your previous experience, you almost certainly already know more locations than I do for the sort of trip you mention, so once again, good luck:cool:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
In terms of experience I have paddled the Spey, Tay, Lochy and Findhorn during my post graduate Diploma in Outdoor Education. Additionally, paddled Dordogne whilst teaching Outdoor Education in France. Due to age and some physical issues I will not be paddling white water just content with paddling from A to B and then camping each night.

I’m sure you already know this but make sure you plan your trip will if that the case. Lakes and reservoirs can often be worse than a grade 2 if you go out in poor weather. It’s best to practice self rescue a few times before realising you’re a bit rusty 2km off shore.

as far as locations go, head north of Ben Nevis and pick a loch on the map pretty much! Depending where you are in the UK though Europe might be just as quick to get to as Scotland too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE