Canoe paddle handle repair

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
Just before I went to Maine with the boy scouts I realized I was short of good paddles So I decided to repair what I had. Here is a description of what I did to repair the handles. This repair was done using hand tools to show it can be done. The tools used were drill and bits, saw, knife, file, and wood chisel.

Many of the handles had lost a piece of the grip like this.
bustedhandle.jpg

I squared the old handle off using a saw and my Bushman.
squaresides.jpg

The front and backs were then squared off leaving a ledge to rest the new handle against, This was done by using a backsaw to cut a groove where the ledge would be then shaving up to the notch with the Bushman and finally smothing it out with a file.
fileeven.jpg

After the shaft was squared I cut a piece of 1 1/4 inch poplar dowel to 4 3/4 inches and drilled a series of holes as long and wide as the squared piece on the shaft.
drillhandlehole.jpg

The drilled holes were then squared off using a wood chisel.
squareoffhole.jpg

The Dowel was fit over the shaft and glued in place with Gorilla Glue (the fit should have been tighter so I took up the gap with a shim made from cedar shingle) Gorilla glue relies on a tight fit.
dryfithandle.jpg

After the glue had set the excess shaft was cut off and the handle was sanded for comfort.
drygorrillaglue.jpg
N
otice the filler in the top view.
handlewithfiller.jpg

Last edited:

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The images are gone - can someone find these again please? I'd really like to see this. There's a question over on Song of the Paddle that this could answer.

He was last on the site in April this year. PM him and ask if he still has the images? Probably your only chance if you specifically want this "how to".

cheapeats

Forager
Feb 20, 2008
New England
They do I used gorilla glue and they are still solid, one is in the repair pile but it is because the blade has split and I have not needed it so it has not moved to th etop of the to do list

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE