Candles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Candles are useful kit - handy as a light source, or for firelighting, and the wax can be used for waterproofing, or for making dry flies float, or as a lubricant in the top end of the bow drill.

I remember seeing tallow (animal fat) candles in survival kits - the idea being that you can eat them if necessary. Yummy. Anyone tried one? I would imagine it must be like eating lard.

Just now Morrisons (nee Safeways) are doing a small citronella candle in an aluminium container with lid. The base is hollow so it doesn't get hot if its sat on a tent groundsheet. In theory the citronella deters the midgies. Not bad for 49 pence.

I see you can also get citronella tea lights -cheap and light.

The main problem is that candles blow out easily in wind. Anyone any experience with candle lanterns? 'Wildwood Wisdom' shows a clever technique of using a cut open beer can as a candle holder/reflector.

I've also had limited success with the pine resin-and-twig improvised candle but often find the resin melts and drips off. Anyone perfected this technique?

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Anyone any experience with candle lanterns? 'Wildwood Wisdom' shows a clever technique of using a cut open beer can as a candle holder/reflector.

Make the prettiest lantern you can from a pop can. Use the ring pull to attach a string and feed it through the top of a cut down clear pop bottle, to protect it from the wind.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
If you go to the Colony candle factory in Cumbria, they usually do seconds and ends of run for £4.00 for as much as you can pack into a carrier bag. All shapes and sizes. I reckon I got about £150.00 worth at full price in one bag!

Dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE