Candle's in tent's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For years in tents like the Blacks Mountain and Force Tens candles were the light source I used and lived to tell the tale. Also used small gas lanterns...its all down to ventilation. In my bigger tents these days I use LED or in colder weather a Vapalux or Coleman lantern both of which provide good heat and light...its still down to ventilation and common sense.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Theres alot of advantages to using a LED lantern over a candle, but i find that by using a candle (in a babyfood jar) you tend to have less of a bug problem as they fly into the flames and get burnt up.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
No, its a not a flawed argument. From both a reality and a professional risk management perspective.

Technically speaking always jumping to "avoidance" as a risk management strategy is absurd and illogical. Transference, probability reduction, impact reduction, contingency planning, and acceptance are all perfectly rationale counters that bear examination.

Common sense tells us what things are good to avoid and what isn't.

If "avoidance" was "absurd and illogical" then our roads would be total chaos.
Common sense tells us we can't make a 90° corner at 100mph so we avoid doing it.
Common sense tells us we shouldn't drive at 100mph in heavy snow.

If everyone set out today to with idea of ditching common sense and NOT avoiding what they perceive as risks it would be like a war zone out there by lunch time.

Don't get me wrong, as a species we have evolved in a major part by those who push the boundaries of these risks.
We all take risks on a daily basis, be it driving that little bit faster because we're late, having yet another fry up this week, not wearing a helmet today on the way to work, etc etc
Most of us will be fine, but there will still be many people that will die today simply because they ignored common sense.
That might be as a result of a RTA, heart disease, obesity, smoking, drug overdose, working with heavy machinery etc etc etc
All those people weighed up the risk and made a decision that proved to be wrong much to their detriment.

Yes there is a chance that someone might knock a candle over. There is also the chance that someone might be struck by lightning - so perhaps they shouldn't go outdoors in the first place.

You are using a fundamentally flawed argument again.

The chances of being struck by lightening is extremely low, but would you walk around on the top of a mountain in the middle of a thunder and lightening storm though?

My guess is no.
But using your initial hypothesis of "nothing happened to me" it should be fine to do as i've camped on the top of a mountain through a thunder storm and i didn't die.

The OP enquired about tealights and did not plan to so lets not examine the risks for a different scenario.

Sorry for being pedantic here mate, but it was you that bought up the comparison to a gas lantern
My brother and I used to camp on Dartmoor a third of a century and more ago and used a gas lantern in small backpacker tents.

You also bought up the scenario of being hit by lightening.

Hands up, i'm also guilty of using several different scenarios though :eek:
I do think it's a good comparison method to use an analogy as long as we stay within the realms of being sensible.

My point is this, if our purpose is to reduce all risk to zero, we would never go out in the first place. We might slip on a wet rock - so only go out in the dry. We might cut ourselves - so lets not use a sharp knife. We might cut our foot - so lets not use an axe. All of these have happened to members of the forum - they are real risks that we choose to accept. We may choose to reduce their probability by using things with care. We may choose to reduce the impact of an accident by having a first aid kit. But we choose to take the risk. Some of us may prefer candle light to electric light. So, following the same rationale, we might choose to ensure ventilation and to use a candle lantern to lessen risk. We might even use a cotton tent. But we may choose to take the risk - as we should as adults.

You are using extremes to the point of absurdity to forward your point again though mate.

No one is saying don't use a axe, knife etc.
If you need to cut something you need a sharp tool, the risks associated with cutting something with a blunt tool are oddly higher.
Likewise a tool like an axe is the most sensible and logical tool for cutting down some tress.

In these instances there is a goal that can't be served by using an alternative.

In this case though a modern torch is gives off an adjustable output of light, will be cheaper over time, be lighter on multi night trips AND safer.
So as a illumination source there are far far better alternatives to use inside a tent.

As a heat source, in a well ventilated tent to heat would not be perceivable, you might get your hands a bit warmer if you hold them over it, but as as heat source for your core it's a fundamentally flawed idea.
You'd either need a LOT smaller space, or a larger candle.

So as a source of heat a sleeping bag or warmer clothing is a better option.

The one thing this hobby really doesn't need is a self appointed arbiter of what is the "right choice to make"

Again you are going to the extreme mate.

Who is acting as a "self appointed arbiter" :confused:

No one is saying DO NOT DO IT or YOU WILL DIE if you do.
I can't see anyone blowing the risks out of proportion.

People are pointing out things to be cautious about like small tents etc, they are then giving their own personal opinion of what they would do.

Personally i'm just asking why would you use a candle in tent.

As a reminder the op asked

Can you have a burning tealight in a tent without worrying about CO and setting light to your tent if placed in a glass jar ?

As i can only give my opinion, personally i wouldn't be without worry

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
very very dangerous?.....you and i obviously have very different ideas of what counts as dangerous lol

why would i?......because i like it, s'good enough reason for me

Sundog please take my post in the context it was intended.
I've highlighted in bold the context it was meant to be taken with.

If it comes down to HAVING to use a candle to keep you warm you've done something wrong somewhere and you're in a very very dangerous situation.
Again, why would you?

If you like it then as a grown adult that's entirely your choice.

Personally i find the heat output is negligible and the illumination output again is negligible.

2 opinions for the op to weigh up and see which he likes best.

goodjob

My response to Red's post was more about his belittling and deriding other peoples posts on pointing out the risks and what to watch out for.

knives, axes, and parangs offer far more chance of injury than an adult of at least average intelligence with a candle lantern

As i said in response to Red.

These tools all serve a purpose, there is a end result that means the risk is worth it.

In my opinion "i like it" is not a end result, so to me personally it does not give a benefit over the risks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Personally i'm just asking why would you use a candle in tent.

Because I want to - its as simple as that. Perhaps I like doing things "old school", perhaps I like the ambience, it really doesn't matter why.

Oh and as for

If "avoidance" was "absurd and illogical" then our roads would be total chaos.

That tells me you really have no training in risk management at all. If people practised avoidance of the risks associated with driving, the roads would empty. Avoidance is one of the five structured risk counter measures - not a way of not bumping into oncoming traffic.

If the subjective "I like it" is not a benefit thats worth engendering risk for - why Bushcraft at all? There is no quantifiable benefit "beyond" I like it after all.

And finally, please dont accuse of me of belittling and deriding others - you are the master at that!

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Because I want to - its as simple as that. Perhaps I like doing things "old school", perhaps I like the ambience, it really doesn't matter why.

As in my reply to Sunndog, as an adult that's entirely your choice

goodjob

Why belittle other posters for pointing out what they perceive as real risks though?

My brother and I used to camp on Dartmoor a third of a century and more ago and used a gas lantern in small backpacker tents. I'm sure the "Safety Sallies" will say we should be dead. We never had a problem - because we were careful. If a chuffing tealight is the most dangerous thing in your life, I feel very sorry for you.

The one thing this hobby really doesn't need is a self appointed arbiter of what is the "right choice to make"

That tells me you really have no training in risk management at all. If people practised avoidance of the risks associated with driving, the roads would empty. Avoidance is one of the five structured risk counter measures - not a way of not bumping into oncoming traffic.

You're absolutely right mate i have zero training in risk management.

As i'm 46 years old and have lived a pretty varied and eventful life though i do believe i have the experience to decide for myself risk perception.

To my untrained eye risk perception is weighing up the risks against the benefits.
People accept the risk associated with driving (and the expense for that matter) because in their case the benefits outweigh the risks.

For you "i like it" outweighs your perception of the risk associated with having a naked flame in your tent.
For me it doesn't.

We are 2 grown adults who have differing perceptions of the risks and benefits, why does your opinion override mine or the others in this thread that have pointed out the possible risks and things to be careful about?

To my eye the op has received a varied amount of responses, opinions and experiences, if he is anything like me he can go away and chew over the posts to help form his own opinion.
That's pretty much a perfect scenario as far as i'm concerned, isn't that exactly what a forum is best at, especially one with such a diverse membership as this.

My problem is not what the choices you make, that's your life, your tent, your call.
My problem is that you belittled other peoples opinions and any cautions they've put forward.

Granted labelling folks as "Safety Sallies" is not exactly going to mentally scar anyone for life, still it's belittling other peoples opinion when all they are trying to do is offer cautions and things to watch out for IF the op decides to try it.

If the subjective "I like it" is not a benefit thats worth engendering risk for - why Bushcraft at all? There is no quantifiable benefit "beyond" I like it after all.

Mate, 3 years a member here and i still don't think anyone has come to a conclusion of what "Bushcrafting" is :lmao:

For me i enjoy the outdoors, it increases my fitness, it clears my mind and in some cases it allows me proper one on one time with loved ones.

All those are quantifiable benefits to me.
Plus I lost 3kg and was noticeably fitter to the point that i broke my mountain bike hill climb personal best after the last trip

And finally, please dont accuse of me of belittling and deriding others - you are the master at that!

Hand on heart, i am truly sorry you feel that way.

I respect your opinions, i enjoy your posts and i am still extremely grateful for the parsnip seeds you sent me, i'd happily share a pint with you.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
:(:(:(:(:(:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p
A candle is more reliable than a torch
Dave I think this is the most useful post in the hole thread... people calm down its a simple question of weather its safe or not. not looking for full blown definitions of life lessons act

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
cbr6fs, i read your post the way it came accross mate, wether my comment was in context or not is debatable

perhaps if you threw a few more of these in your posts they wouldn't sound quite as dictatorial

Personally, In my opinion, to me personally.

the chap was asking if CAN do it, not why should he
ATB.....adam

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Regarding heat . . . .

I used to live on a narrowboat - the shower/toiletroom was about 2'6"x4'x6'. No heating.

If I left a candle lantern burning in there in winter, it was cold but not icy. Without the candle lantern, the showroom had ice on the inside of the porthole. There was a mushroom vent in the roof.

So, in my experience, a candle lantern can produce useful amounts of heat in a small space.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I use a candle heater to heat my room sometimes during winter to top up the storage heaters, and in spring/autumn when the storage heaters aren't on. It's an array of upturned terracotta pots, with 3 tea lights underneath. Gives off a lovely dry warmth that takes the chill off the air nicely.

Julia

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Regarding heat . . . .

I used to live on a narrowboat - the shower/toiletroom was about 2'6"x4'x6'. No heating.

If I left a candle lantern burning in there in winter, it was cold but not icy. Without the candle lantern, the showroom had ice on the inside of the porthole. There was a mushroom vent in the roof.

So, in my experience, a candle lantern can produce useful amounts of heat in a small space.

And they catch any soot produced too leaving your tent unmarred.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've used a candle in a tent loads of times, it's fine for me! I use them because I want to, I've also used wood burners in tents so a tea light will be plenty safe! If the tent your using has a reasonably breathable fabric, or even if you just leave the door an inch open at the bottom when you've got 4 or 5+ going you'd be good. My Tentipi has a very good ventilation system because it's designed for use with stoves, but even if it wasn't I'd still use candles. As for fire risk it's virtually non existent in my opinion. Ever candle I've ever knocked over (hundreds as I'm a clumsy git) have all gone out either because of wax drowning the flame out with a tea light or the way it falls with a normal candle- just use common sense and it'll be fine :).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A citronella tea-light in the tent deters midges and mozzies better than any number of LEDs.

Though some LED's and cyalume style lightsticks don't actively attract insects due to the wavelength of their light so they can be a good alternative. (But I do like a good candle and or lantern.
Back in my snow-holing days that magical glow from a candle was just enough to take the chill off the air without causing drips and the diffused light had a magical quality after a day of knocking your pan in climbing some frozen rock. (The nip from the hipflask was a great accompaniment to it too!:eek:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE