Candle's in tent's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
A candle is foolproof. It can resist wet, help to light a fire, provide warmth as well as light and is very cheap. It goes without saying that care needs to be taken. The only problem I've ever had was when then candle in my pack melted in Death Valley and the wax soaked into my sleeping bag and clumped the down.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, sort of. But only IF!
-If you have a reliable way to light it
-If you are inside (or at least out of the rain, wind, or anything that could extinguish a candle)

If you don't have a reliable way to strike a flame then really you should not be outdoors camping ? The wick in its wax is useful, wax melted with the likes of a Bic lighter is useful so I don't see your point to be honest. You can eat Tallow fat candles...they (candles) have a multitude of uses ranging from, heat, light and food so don't be so quick to dismiss them chap.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you don't have a reliable way to strike a flame then really you should not be outdoors camping ? The wick in its wax is useful, wax melted with the likes of a Bic lighter is useful so I don't see your point to be honest......

With regard to the OP, you're quite right.

My reply was limited to a rebuttal of the comment about candles being more reliable than a torch.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
With regard to the OP, you're quite right.

My reply was limited to a rebuttal of the comment about candles being more reliable than a torch.

A torch needs a bulb and battery, a candle needs a flame of which you will have several sources with you as a bushcrafter hence the candle as a light source is in fact more reliable.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
so does it have to be that one is 100% better than the other?

c'mon lads, a torch and a candle are two different things......let it be

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What a suprise, a perfectly sensible thread ending up in a slanging match between the same people, I thinks some should get out more.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
:p
What a suprise, a perfectly sensible thread ending up in a slanging match between the same people, I thinks some should get out more.
this isn't the first time my threads have done this grown men wining like woman do ! give up and go ruin some one else's thread.... thanks Ozzy for agreeing with me lol

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
A torch needs a bulb and battery, a candle needs a flame of which you will have several sources with you as a bushcrafter hence the candle as a light source is in fact more reliable.

Torches don't blow out in the wind. Candles do. And no, I don't have several sources of flame, just ordinary matches and sometimes a lighter. They also blow out in the wind.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a candle I made in an altoids tin. Cant knock that over.

(I use it instead of a tea light as tea light wicks are flimsy and do not burn well.)

I have made some citronella one too (hint hint)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE