Candle's in tent's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Regarding heat . . . .

I used to live on a narrowboat - the shower/toiletroom was about 2'6"x4'x6'. No heating.

If I left a candle lantern burning in there in winter, it was cold but not icy. Without the candle lantern, the showroom had ice on the inside of the porthole. There was a mushroom vent in the roof.

So, in my experience, a candle lantern can produce useful amounts of heat in a small space.

One thing to take into consideration here is the insulation of your narrowboat is going to be a LOT more than in a backpacking tent.

In my experience a candle as a heat source in the types of tents most backpackers use is pretty much useless.
If you hold your hands over the flame you will warm your hands up, but a heat source for your body core you going to be in big trouble if you rely on a candle.

If you don't have a reliable way to strike a flame then really you should not be outdoors camping ?

Good timing that mate.

Just returned from 4 days hiking and camping.

No stove, no fires, no lighter, no matches, no fire starting kit at all.
4 days, around 60km of hiking, peak height of just over 2500m and not one naked flame between us all.

:yikes:

I think this is where the disagreements start.
This forum has many members from many countries doing many different outdoors activities.
I'm of the belief that unless you have tried many of these different activities in many of the different countries it's pointless expressing an opinion on it.

In the immortal words of U.S.U.R.A., open your mind :lmao:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you don't have a reliable way to strike a flame then really you should not be outdoors camping ? ......

Apparently you've never camped where open flames (including candles and BBQ grills) were illegal. Such as Arizona during dry weather? Even right here in rainy Okaloosa County during dry conditions.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
One thing to take into consideration here is the insulation of your narrowboat is going to be a LOT more than in a backpacking tent.

In my experience a candle as a heat source in the types of tents most backpackers use is pretty much useless.
If you hold your hands over the flame you will warm your hands up, but a heat source for your body core you going to be in big trouble if you rely on a candle.

Good timing that mate.

Just returned from 4 days hiking and camping.

No stove, no fires, no lighter, no matches, no fire starting kit at all.
4 days, around 60km of hiking, peak height of just over 2500m and not one naked flame between us all.

:yikes:

I think this is where the disagreements start.
This forum has many members from many countries doing many different outdoors activities.
I'm of the belief that unless you have tried many of these different activities in many of the different countries it's pointless expressing an opinion on it.

In the immortal words of U.S.U.R.A., open your mind :lmao:

a: What did you eat and drink?

b: Your not my mate

c: My mind is open.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Apparently you've never camped where open flames (including candles and BBQ grills) were illegal. Such as Arizona during dry weather? Even right here in rainy Okaloosa County during dry conditions.

Nope, never been to Arizona. In all honesty I've cooked far more meals over a stove than an open fire or BBQ, you can use stoves in Arizona I presume, which would need lighting?

http://www.pr.state.az.us/find/f_act_fire.html

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Nope, never been to Arizona. In all honesty I've cooked far more meals over a stove than an open fire or BBQ, you can use stoves in Arizona I presume, which would need lighting?

http://www.pr.state.az.us/find/f_act_fire.html

Yes, you can use stoves in Az. Most (not quite all) are self lighting. And I often eat cold food, particularly when backpacking.

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia

Conversely, in my experience, my candle lantern (An UCO lantern) gives out enough heat to make a significant difference in a tent.
I've used it in winter in Scotland, and it definitely made an appreciable difference.
The tent was a Wynnster firefly 2 (as I recall)

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Conversely, in my experience, my candle lantern (An UCO lantern) gives out enough heat to make a significant difference in a tent.
I've used it in winter in Scotland, and it definitely made an appreciable difference.

Did you manage to take any data Graham, or was it the fact that the tent felt warmer?

Interesting thread here on the heat output of candles
http://www.reddit.com/r/askscience/comments/liqd6/will_burning_a_couple_of_candles_increase_the/

It's specifically aimed at the idea of the upside-down terracotta pots that made the news a while ago.
Some data on tea candles though.

*energy in parafin: * 49 Kj/g
parafin in a tea light: 17 g
*burn time of a tea light: * 5 hours
1 watt hour = 0.278 KJ

Thus: 49x17/5= 166KJ/H = 46.3 watt/hour

To put that into perspective (taken from here)
human-body-heat.png

So sharing your tent with someone else or a dog will give you around the same heat output as burning a tea light candle.

PLUS you don't have to wake up every couple of hours to light your mate/dog :lmao:

PLUS PLUS apart from a bit of farting you're not going to be breathing in a lot of the nasty fumes and particles that burning candles give off

PLUS PLUS PLUS your mate/dog isn't going to burn your tent down if you nudge them in the night

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Certainly seems to be the same people arguing with each other regardless of the subject, and I thought school girls were bad, some of the grown men on here are worse.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Certainly seems to be the same people arguing with each other regardless of the subject, and I thought school girls were bad, some of the grown men on here are worse.

I think the op has a fair amount of varied experiences and opinions from which to draw his opinion from.
Surely that's a good thing for a forum?

It'd be good to see your thoughts on the subject, as up until now your only input in the thread is your above post and:

What a suprise, a perfectly sensible thread ending up in a slanging match between the same people, I thinks some should get out more.

Although i agree that the bickering gets tiring, i think joining a thread to ONLY post comments complaining about the thread without putting your opinions forward is not going to help anyone.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
nor is bringing an attitude looking for an argument

There will be plenty who could bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to this tread who will be put off by the bickering and sniping

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
nor is bringing an attitude looking for an argument

There will be plenty who could bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to this tread who will be put off by the bickering and sniping

I understand and completely agree.

My point is, most of those that were "bickering" offered an opinion or defended their opinion.

I mod on 2 forums, on both if someone joins a thread to complain about the thread without offering an opinion then it's a caution.
We found that those types of posts we akin to sitting down watching someone work then complaining they weren't doing a good job, they only succeeded in stirring up tensions which brings the thread down even more.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I see no work I just see people having a bad day and bringing it here

this thread ended being useful at post #14

Blaidd

Nomad
Jun 23, 2013
UK
To answer the OPs question. I can find no recorded death online due to CO from candles, either multiple or single. This does not mean it is safe. Other factors regarding candle use may be more dangerous. If you're concerned, you could use a CO detector (a patch style would be lighter). You could even test it in your backyard first to check the result without you being in the tent. If you have an electronic one at home, you could use that for the test.
:)

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk

I've been out in that desert, just north of Tombstone....the wranglers wouldn't even let me smoke a cigarette! Too be fair it was very very dry :)

Tracker NTS-054

Forager
Sep 8, 2013
Nottinghamshire
I did test it at home and I can tell you there is absolutely no chance of killing your self from CO poisoning using a candle in a tent.

Agreed, the flame of a tealight candle will flicker and die before you do.

Sure there are better alternatives to a candle for more heat in a tent (better sleeping bag, zippo hand warmers, Jennifer Connelly...) but candles will work.. In fact candles are excellent to use in primitive debris shelters (because candles are common place in 'survival tins' and debris huts are well ventilated)

Where warmth isn't the reason for the candle and light is, again they will safely work - and as heat isn't the function of the candle, unzipping the door slightly to ventilate wouldn't hurt..

I have before even used one of those DIY hand warmer tins (old shoe polish tin with a roll of cardboard soaked in wax) inside a polish army lavvu to no ill effects on a snowy night when I couldn't sleep for shivering... It noticeably raised the temperature (perhaps works better with canvas than nylon) by approx 4/5 Celsius- enough to let me sleep!

I'm no medical expert, so my above opinion is just that. Remember that haemoglobin bonds with carbon monoxide preferentially to oxygen so always take care. And Jennifer Connelly is married. Unfortunately.

Lewis

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes, you can use stoves in Az. Most (not quite all) are self lighting. And I often eat cold food, particularly when backpacking.

Don't rely on piezo ignition for stoves or lanterns, they are very prone to failure, pack a couple or three Bic lighters to be on the safe side.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

A small candle lantern in my Hex3 made a noticeable difference in temperature. That said a micro gas lantern on a very low setting did the same and you could easily up the light output when cooking inside the tent.

Mandos

Nomad
Jan 23, 2013
Downham market
Thanks guys a shame about the hole arguments on here though I thought grown men would be abit more mature anyway I've been given a pifco candlelight lantern no bigger than the UCO micro it runs off 2 c battery's and take a small .5 bulb running no brighter than a tealight here's a picture
zypybu3e.jpg
the current battery's have been in for over two years roughly used once a month
mytajera.jpg

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE