Canadian Rockies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
My brother and I are going to Canada in 2 weeks time. We are starting in Vancouver and driving to Calgary, stopping for a few days at various places on the way, over 14 days.
We are looking to do whale watching in Vancouver and white water rafting somewhere.
Can anyone recommend any other activities, places, things to do that shouldn't be missed?
Any other travel tips?

Can wait for the next 2 weeks to go by. :red: But as soon as you go it time to come back again.

welshnik

Jul 11, 2008
South Wales
Hiya

Kicking Horse River is the place to go whitewater rafting - they do twice daily trips at this time of the year. If you are doing anything extreme, we recommend Dogtag travel insurance for comprehensive cover. We are going to Calgary/Vancouver for 28 days next year so let us know if you find anything fab!!

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
We go over to the Rockies on a two yearly basis and we've not run out of things to do.

Whilst in Vancouver get yourself up to Whistler (it's 2 hours up the Sea to Sky Highway) and go on the Ziptrek wire slide - great fun! Whale watching tends to be better from Vancouver Island than Vancouver so be careful no-one rips you off. There are some lovely walks on Grouse Mountain in North Vancouver and if you've got a car go up to Buntzen Lake just north of Port Moody/Port Coquitlam. it's a lovely setting. Of course whilst you're in Vancouver you MUST visit MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) at 130 West Broadway; if you take out a $5CDN membership you can buy lovely, lovely outdoor kit at great prices - swap the pound sign for a dollar sign.

Where are you staying in the Rockies? If it's Revelstoke go to Meadows in the Sky; if it's Banff or Lake Louise there are lots of possibilities.

Let me know and I'll make some suggestions

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Kicking Horse River is the place to go whitewater rafting - they do twice daily trips at this time of the year. If you are doing anything extreme, we recommend Dogtag travel insurance for comprehensive cover. We are going to Calgary/Vancouver for 28 days next year so let us know if you find anything fab!!
Do you have any particular company in mind for white water rafting? With regards to insurance rafting is probably the most extreme activity we are likely to be doing, plus we already have insurance. Will let you know of the best stuff when I get back.

That zip slide looks awesome but I think its a bit out of our way as we don't have the car for the first 2 days.
A lot of the whale watching companies offer free return tickets for another trip if you dont see a whale which sounds good to me. The average price for trips I have looked at seems to be around $100CDN, does this sound about right?

I will definitely visit MEC, sounds good. I will have to remember that money doesn't grow on trees, oh and the space in my suitcase.:rolleyes:

These are our accommodation locations Vancouver, Lac Le Jeune, Jasper, Sunwapta falls, Lake Louise, Banff and finally 1 night in Calgary.

Glosfisher

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2007
Cotswolds
A lot of the whale watching companies offer free return tickets for another trip if you dont see a whale which sounds good to me. The average price for trips I have looked at seems to be around $100CDN, does this sound about right?

We were warned by a first nations whale watching trip captain to beware of these money-back guarantees 'cos in the eyes of the tour companies any cetacean no matter how far away will do......

These are our accommodation locations Vancouver, Lac Le Jeune, Jasper, Sunwapta falls, Lake Louise, Banff and finally 1 night in Calgary.[/QUOTE]

Don't know anything about Lac Le Jeune but I'll ask our Canadian friends. Jasper - more mountains than you can shake a stick at. Go and do Mt Edith Cavell Path of the Glacier Trail but don't bother with Edith Cavell Meadows - a boring slog with too many people. Go to Maligne Lake, especially if you can get out in the early morning as you're bound to encounter wildlife on the way. Hire a canoe when you get to Maligne.

Sunwapta Falls - well it has to be the Columbia Icefield doesn't it. Touristy beyond belief but well worth it and good vale. The antidote to the glacier tour is to drive 5 mins down the road from the Glacier visitor centre to the trailhead for Wilcox Pass (I think it's called Nigel Creek), a short, steep trail up into fantastic almost tundra meadows with a great view over the Icefield - a big fave with me. Whilst at Sunwapta you ought to do at least part of the Fortress Lake trail that starts from where you're staying.

Lake Louise - you have to go and look at the lake and Chateau Lake Louise but you can escape very quickly by taking trails on either side of the lake. The trails on the northern shore will lead you to the Plain of the Six Glaciers; there are a number of teahouses to keep you going. The southern shore is less developed and there's a great walk up Fariview from the top of which you can see Chateau Lake Louise a vertical kilometre below! Just take care on the descent because at one point the path turns very sharply and it is very indistinct and results in people coming off the trail onto thevery steep scree slopes. Just make a mental note of the turn on the way up. If Paradise Valley is open go there but I expect Grizz activity will have shut it by the time you're there. Also go to Moraine Lake one evening and hire a canoe - it's really quite an experience. Everytime we go to Banff we end up in being the last canoe of Moraine Lake - magical. The walks at Moraine can be a bit hit and miss; in the last few years an uppity young male grizz has been causing a few problems

Banff - you've got to go to Sunshine Meadows. A bus leaves the gondola car park at 8.30 in the morning (other times available) and takes you up to Sunshine Village from which there are fantastic walks across alpine meadows. Do the Standish loop and drop back down into Sunshine. Don't walk up Healy Creek - v.v. boring and in previous years a bit afflicted by mama grizz

You've also got to go to Blue Canoe on the Bow River in Banff and hire a canoe for at least an hour and either paddle Vermilion Lake or the Bow itself. And if you've got time after all that get yourself to Kananaskis Country - lots of wildlife on Highway 40

Calgary - well there's another MEC....... but if you're prepared to drive a couple of hours south there is Head Smashed-In

We're off to Alberta for 4 and a half weeks on July 29th; staying with friends in Bragg Creek for a week and a half and the rest of the time we're doing a house-swap for the second time in Banff. My 15 year old son is going on various rock-climbing courses and we're planning to spend a day padlling the Bow as far as possible. We've been incredibly lucky and managed to get onto the early Lake O'Hara bus twice while we're there and we're going to do Healy Pass among any number of other walks.

We're also going to go back to Head Smashed-In and we're going to go down into Montana and return via the 93 and Radium Hot Springs.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Spark

Forager
Jun 18, 2006
nr. Bristol
bcd.awardspace.info
Thanks for the suggestions Glosfisher, a very informative post. A lot of food for thought and googling to come.Got to see where we can fit it all the activities in now. Its always good to hear from people with first hand experience. especially places to stay away from, as you dont usually get told of which parts to steer clear from. I like getting off the main touristy tracks as well. Its something I nearly always do when going for a walk in the woods.
I presume a map is recommended for the majority of the walks. Do the park offices have maps to purchase? Is a compass needed as well? Would a compass have to be taken as hand luggage due to pressures?
Do you think I should prebook some things before I go?

4 and a half weeks! Lucky you, sounds like you will have a very relaxing time.

Thanks

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
You lucky, lucky.....
I worked in Calgery/Rockies for a few months as a geology student. It's a fantastic area. Glosfisher said lots of good stuff. Head Smashed In Buffalo Jump is great. The museum at Drumheller is outstanding if you are interested in Geology. Anywhere you can get on a trail there is the most outstanding scenery.
Enjoy.
Cheers,
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE