Canadian jam knot... really handy knot to know

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
Hi all, while browsing youtube for bushcrafty videos I came accross this video that shows you how to tie a Canadian jam knot, which is a very easy knot to tie and looks like a very practical knot to know.

[video=youtube;qC-GHDkBnXU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qC-GHDkBnXU[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
in the youtube video he ties two overhand knots but says the first cannot be untied afterwards, there is a much better way to tie this knot, if you tie a figure of eight instead for the first knot then an overhand for the second knot then you can actually untie all the knots after tensioning, he states that by using two overhands the first knot cannot be untied as it pulls too tight and you have to cut off that bit of string, knots that cannot be untied easily is bad policy as it wastes what may be precious string, all you have to do is tie a figure of eight for the first knot instead which can be easily untied afterwards, the knot works exactly the same but you can untie it completely after tensioning.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A nice clear tutorial!
I have been using this knot for a while now and find that it is realy good in leather thonging - which is good as I realy like the old leather and canvas gear look!
If the leather gets realy wet the knot can jam more than you want as it all dries out again....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE