Canada trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Well think I have thought of most things that I want to buy when I go to Toronto next week.......leatherman, danners, hat possibly camera.....goes on and on really anything else????
Just spoke to him and he knows where Bass Pro is!!!!!!!!
I can wait.....pity I feel so cra* (sinus problems the doctor reckons)
Dave

Tack

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2005
West Midlands
Hi,

I was in Western Canada about this time last year. The weather was cold and we had snow on two days in BC. So I would suggest extra warm clothing.

Finally have friendly conversations with your bank manager and estate agent because you will be amazed at how much cheaper everything is and you won't want to come home. At least that's what happened to me.

Finally have a great time.
Tack

Bogman10

Nomad
Dec 28, 2006
Edmonton,ab,Can
The Days can still be warm, but the nights get cold. Try and get out to the woods, if you can tear yourself away from the shops! lol . Bear pepper spray a good Idea this time of year.
Have a great time!:)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
One thing you might have forgotten. Have you arranged for a large container to ship back all the things you want to buy?:lmao:

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Make sure you visit MEC. Everything is about 50% UK prices.

Also Toronto hooters is well worth a vist.:rolleyes:

There used to be a Hooters right around the corner from me, at Yonge & Eglinton, but it moved out to the suburbs somewhere and was replaced by yet another trendy overpriced restaurant.

Bass Pro shops is hard to miss, as its got an exit off highway 400 named for it. Interesting place to wander in an anthropological study kind of way, but LeBaron and MEC are cheaper and have much more knowledgeable staff.

Get coffee and a breakfast sandwich at Tim Horton's, stop at Weber's burgers in you're driving to cottage country up the 400, watch the Rick Mercer Report, and House (Hugh Laurie with an American accent).

And watch out for polar bears.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
The hooters was located about 5 mins walk from the hostel I stayed in last month. During the film festival. Also about 5 mins walk from the MEC. Good cheap food with friendly staff not like the waiter in Winnipeg.

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Also, if you're in a pub, try Creemore Springs Premium Lager. Sleeman's Original Draft or Honey Brown will do if they don't have Creemore. Molson and Labatt have convinced the Canadian beer-drinking public that they want generic bland tasting beer, but there are lots of other options for those who care.

Or if you prefer hard liquor, in Canada we call our whisky 'rye' for some reason, and it's good mixed with coke (or pepsi), ginger-ale, and tonic water, or in a Manhattan.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Great recommendations,looked at Mec on the net but could only find mainly listings for there own gear? (Ie Mec sleeping bags etc?)
Bass pro is quite close to my mates gaff, doing the city tour mlarkey:eek: , yea I know but its got to be done once. The Falls CN tower and loads of eating and merryment.
Bit of a shopping trip/ catch up with my buddy really.
Weather I believe is pretty warm at the mo snow forecast for the west.
D

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, most of what they sell is their own gear, that's why their prices are reasonable. They do carry some brand names, but most of their own stuff is comparable or better than a brand name equivalent, at a lower price.

As for weather, I've been wearing a light jacket for the last few days, but The Weather Network says it's supposed to warm up next week.

tommy the cat

Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Ta Dan thats what I thought.
Will I get Danners at Bass Pro?
Not bothered really about name brands but some proven names Thermarest etc have a good reputation which I don't know if can be said for the Mec ones...got to say I will go there and prob spend toooo much money! D

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
Bass Pro's website does show that they carry Danners, but I've never looked at them in the actual store, so I can't say how the prices would compare. I think the website gives their prices in $US, and even though our $CAN is higher now, I don't know if retail prices reflect that yet...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE