Can you see what you see?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
My old eyes are tired and I need some help identifying something. :D Hiding in the tall grass are several animals. Can you see where and what they are? Plus, how many do you think you see?

garland026.jpg

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Umm, it looks like there's a couple, but it could be that it's one moving (the eyes are a bit weird) Three if the dark lump on the left is one as well. The two I think are there are over to the right

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
ooh crikey, my eyes are pretty poor. I had to sit and stare at the picture for a good while and then began imagining all sorts of things (rather like one of those magic eye pictures). This should have been made into a competition.

Oh well here it goes......

I can sort of make out a feline like shape to the far left (just below middle) and then possibly another small feline shape to the far right hidden in the shadows.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
I can only see the obvious one on the lower left. But there will be many more kicking around there somewhere - or are we just looking for megafauna?

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
That black lump in the lower left looks feline to me. But then if that's the case why can everyone see bunnies too :rolleyes:

Come on RA get out of bed and give us the answer :)

Topcat02

Settler
Aug 9, 2005
Dymock, Gloucestershire
I hate things like this, I always guess the wrong amount in the wrong space. I thought I saw a bird shape in the foreground, but then thought that the bird would be a bit daft sitting there if there was a cat so close.

Put us out of our misery. :D

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
RovingArcher said:
My old eyes are tired and I need some help identifying something. :D Hiding in the tall grass are several animals. Can you see where and what they are? Plus, how many do you think you see?

garland026.jpg

Nope, not a competition in the usual sort of way. But it is a mind bender isn't it? I took this photo day before yesterday because I saw a couple of cottontails, (upper right corner of photo) and knew that there had to be others, because they are starting the birthing time here. I wish I had the software to circle them for you. But the paint section of my photo software doesn't have a drawing ability, only the wider brush option. Or, maybe I'm just not savy with the software yet. Anyways, the reason the eyes look so weird on the two in the upper right corner, is that there are actually three huddled together. The large blob on the left is the boss doe cottontail I'm assuming, because she is very large (photo taken at full zoom from 30 paces or so) compared to the others in the area. In front of and slightly below the boss doe there are a couple of young bunnies that are barely visible. Look for tiny ears and eyeballs, or just a nose. Actually, one could be a mouse. Nearer to the few in the upper right corner and below them is another that looks to be a young rabbit. I could be wrong about what I'm seeing, same as you. The grass can make shapes appear out of nowhere sometimes.

To be honest, I thought the one on the left was a young pig at first. But I saw it move and clicked another photo of it.

garland027.jpg

I was on a walk in an area that was once a ranch, now turned into a county park and hiking area, so fires and other bushcrafty stuff isn't allowed, but I'll head into the hills from this area, which is near the backside of the barn and do my thing up there where people are usually too lazy to get to. I stopped in front of this little fellows tree and he popped his head out to say hey.

garland018.jpg

And all the while, this fellow (White-tailed Kite) is patroling the skies nearby.

garland005_filtered.jpg

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Well I am glad we got that one sorted. It was driving me potty, I was zooming in photoshop etc and seeing weird images and the like.

A big thumbs up to those who spotted the bunnies, you must have bionic eyes
!!

Still would make an excellent future competition mind (hopefully using a different picture).

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Well all I could see was an evil beheaded weasel looking creature mid-right of picture.
I`ve had my eyes lasered recently too ! Oh dear :confused:

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
I take photos like I hunt with my bow. Spot the movement and then stalk in as close as I dare and make sure of what I'm seeing before I shoot. I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there are dozens of little ones in that photo. I know there are quail and other birds in the mix, but none showed up in the photo. Their natural camo works very well.

I've seen rabbits turn into rocks and break my arrows. Quail are tricky little devils. They show you where they were and not where they are and you usually shoot where you thought they would be, but weren't. :eek: :D

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
You are a very lucky person being able to combine tracking and bow hunting like that. Where's the envious smilie?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE