Can you flush sphagnum moss down the toilet?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
With 110mm piping you can if you are not stuffing the bowl full. In toilet paper equivalent amounts I see no reason why not. :p

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Toilet flushing relies on the fact that faeces and toilet paper are shredded by turbulence...basically it all breaks down very quickly and doesn't 'plug' the pipes.
While sphagnum moss is organic, anti-bacterial, etc., it's not going to shred when flushed.
If you have to use something that's not intended to be flushed then it's not a good idea.
Just bin and bag like other disposable sanitary items, baby nappies and wipes, etc.,

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Was going to mention that your shouldn't be taking sphagnum moss at all but beaten by someone more knowledgeable.

Look, flannel and a bowl of hot water. Wash flannel out and throw water down the toilet instead of using the flush. Surely that's enough.

Alternatively rob your neighbour's hoard of panic bought bog roll when they go out. If you're friends with swapped house keys for emergencies then it's even easier to do. Joking!

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Now I’m really pleased that I never got around to ripping put the naff bidet someone installed in our house in the 1980s - never used it but nice to know it is there if needed. ;)

#firstworldproblems

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Have used sphagnum more times than can count, from that and years I have a strong preference for Hylocomium splendens. :happy:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Bidets are for washing yor feet, yes?

That and putting cut flowers in overnight.

(At least that is what ours got used for when we lived in a place that had one...)

Seaweed is a good wipe. But, like many things in this world, not flushable.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
........Alternatively rob your neighbour's hoard of panic bought bog roll when they go out. If you're friends with swapped house keys for emergencies then it's even easier to do. Joking!
That’s why I’m stockpiling am: I’m going after their toilet paper.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My advice doesn't apply to America. Not with their reported panic buying of guns!!!:ar15:
The rush this time was on ammo mostly. That said, I suspect gun sales may increase again before bans are enacted (athe mayor of New Orleans announced a ban on gun sales despite court rulings against it after a similar move following Hurricane Katrina)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Or have a bidet put into your second or third bathroom so your valet can wipe your derrierre.

Anyone think certain people have too much privilege and money without really understanding how the masses live? We have one bathroom, not even what's known as a cloakroom, just the one bathroom. So no chance of following that advise to use a different bathroom to your family if you have the virus.

Maybe, for the sake of the planet and due to lack of toilet rolls, it's time to use reusable toilet wipes? Cheeky wipes sell reusable toilet wipe cloths in cotton I believe. One box to store them with lavender and other aromatics. Then another box with a mesh, drawstring bag for the after use wipes. The boss of the company washes them with her clothes not even segregated washes.

Imagine, no more toilet paper needed.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
With 75mm piping you cannot with 110mm piping you can using some common sense on the amount. After that it is really a question of the workers skill how to align the line, things like no 180 turns, constant grade etc.

If one really wants to see how it should NOT be done go to Greece. Minoans new how but the present builders largely do not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE