Can you damage sil-nylon by not drying it out?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Basically that's the question I have. Did an overnighter in a campsite under my tarp and it was very wet with condensation inside too due to low wind. I packed it up and forgot to take it out to dry when I got home. About a month later I went on another overnighter and got it out of the stuff sack and it was wet. Another wet night but with a very strong wind which got inside the tarp too so it should have helped to prevent the condensation forming but it didn't. Well it got wet inside but unlike normally with condensation the tarp let large droplets fall from it all over the tarp. These did not run down the tarp towards the edge like most of the time but fell where they were formed. Even when it stopped raining and the inside should have dried but when the rain came back so did the drops.

I suspect that the silicone treatment might have come off it. What do you people think? Anyway I might get something like Fabsil and see if re-proofing it will work.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
was it a cooler night and had you pitched it lower to the ground? would increase the trapped thermals and may increase condensation, my desert dpm basha does similar if its pegged close to the ground, doesn't drip but is very wet on the underside.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE