Can someone for once and for all explain to me...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hi Niels,

Acording to a few sources I've read there's no official difference "In general, the terms "dove" and "pigeon" are used somewhat interchangeably. In ornithological practice, "dove" tends to be used for smaller species and "pigeon" for larger ones, but this is in no way consistently applied, and historically, the common names for these birds involve a great deal of variation between the terms."(wikipedia)
"There is no strict division between pigeons and doves, which share certain features, including small, rounded heads, small, slim bills with a small fleshy patch at the base, rounded bodies with dense, soft feathers, tapered wings and short, scaly legs, and cooing or crooning calls."(RSPB)

Quite a few sources and books say they same. Called Doos in Scotland. (Not to be confused with the Dutch slang word of the same spelling). Tasty to eat, well the wood pidgeons are the rock pidgeons from the town seem to carry more diseases than rats.
Cheers,
Colin.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
Thanks for the replies guys! As there is only one word for them in Dutch, I was always wondering if there was a difference. I have actually eaten feral pigeons but only the ones that live in the countryside, with corn in their crop. Actually 'doos' normally means 'box' here, but you're right, it can be used differently.:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The difference between pigeon and dove is about the same as between frogs and toads, and butterflies and moths, which is to say it is a distinction without a significant difference.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The following definitions should explain it:

-Dove = A person who prefers peace over war and will go to extremes to maintain peace through diplomacy
-Pigeon = A person who is easily deceived and makes a good target for con artists

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE