Can of worms..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Odd how it often changes when we get behind our keyboards though.
4166.gif
Ah... good ol' "cyber-disinhibition" :)

There's a good biological/psychological reason why otherwise sane men and women turn into drooling halfwits when they get plonked in front of a keyboard.

Interesting article here (scroll down about half-way to Daniel Goleman):

http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_5.html

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ah... good ol' "cyber-disinhibition" :)

There's a good biological/psychological reason why otherwise sane men and women turn into drooling halfwits when they get plonked in front of a keyboard.

Interesting article here (scroll down about half-way to Daniel Goleman):

http://www.edge.org/q2006/q06_5.html

What an interesting article. This is a really hard medium to put across a grumble without it sounding like serious spite. Without any faces to look at emotions are all wrong and distorted, blacker and darker than they really are. Writting posts can feel like I am sitting alone whispering my private thoughts in a hole, that then get read by loads of people I know, and even more strangers. EEEggh wierd!!!!! The internet is psychologically unnatural for sure.

I don't care if someone else sleeps in caravan or a pile of moldy leaves, it is when they start reading my private thoughts and thinking i am paranoid nutter because they can't understand that i have a wierd sense of humour, or see that I am chuckling. It makes sense to me and that is only person I can empathese with when I can't see your face.

Rob Tangtent

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2009
Warwickshire
ah, the differnce between survival and bushcraft to me is : bushcraft your doing it to enjoy the wilderness around you and to sort of zone out from the concrete jungle clogging up the world.
survival is just concentrating on fire, water, food, shelter.
i think it should be allowed to take whatever kit you need so long as you can transport it around yourself. so ill list my rucksacks items
1. mora clipper knife
2.a hatchet i found in the cellar, probably my grandads old one
3. a cheap saw i got a couple of years ago for my 12th b'day
3. a light my fire firesteel
4.first aid - compiled with stuff i managed to persuade mom to get while we were in sainsburys
5.an IKEA pan which i though was quite light
6.a lightweight frying pan i borrow from my parents
7. my water mug, no its not the army issue its one of the ones you find in ever outdoor shop in the Lake district.
8. my expencive lightweight go lite hex tent, sometimes i take tjust the outer thing so its more of a tarp but i could also take the inner aswell so its a tent. i got it last christmas ^^
9. some white nylon chord i found -a little like paracord-
10. warm clothes and lots of pairs of socks
11.a thermarest
12. a cool little stainless mug with a carabiner handle my godfather bought me ^^
and a few other little extra things lke a spork and some other lightweight plastic cutlery
and a horriabl little survival tin that i know i will never need as it will be a few miles walk to civilisation ^^
also food that is dry -biltong, rice, instant noodles ^^,fruit.
all of that fits in/or strapped on the outside of my backpack.
i also prefer a berghaus 55 -i think- backpack
but i might also take my fishing rod sometime in the futre just to spend some time by a river.
Also i would say a camera but i always forget it
but i really think you should just take what you want i have only used a tent but i think id prefer it to a tarp. i think whatever you want is bushcrafting just so long as you enjoy it and dont spend the time bieng - bored- or freezzing.
but really i think that there is gear queers -idiots- and people that just want to enjoy the wilderness and have a good time
then there are people that take very minimilistic kit and enjoy feeling better than others cos there more "primitive" or whatever

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE