Can Nesting Doves Damage My Cherry Tree?

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
This may seem a bit dumb or paranoid but there seems to be conflicting information on this so I thought I'd ask you knowledgeable folk.

I have a mature cherry tree in my front garden and as of this weekend a couple of collared doves have been building a nest in it. My first reaction was to break the nest up (which I did) but then I felt kind of mean and guilty, as if birds nesting in trees was a risk to the tree then we wouldn't have much of an eocosystem!

Pigeons I definitely don't want in the tree but as this is the doves' nesting season am I okay in leaving them be?

My reason for concern is the prospect of guano possibly infecting the tree.

Any more well-informed advice welcome!

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Guano is a fertilizer ;) It'll make the tree produce more cherries for the doves to eat before you do :D

Live and let live mate :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
They'll guzzle every cherry you grow :rolleyes:.......blackcurrants, sloes, etc., but otherwise it'll not harm the tree having them there.

cheers,
Toddy

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
They wont damage the tree but if you destroy the nest, then post about it, you're leaving yourself open to prosecution.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The doves will also drive off any other creatures wanting to eat your cherries as they will be protecting their nest. Win win situation.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
They wont damage the tree but if you destroy the nest, then post about it, you're leaving yourself open to prosecution.

They have nested in the tree as of Sunday and I am quite happy to leave them alone.

As I said, I felt guilty but didn't know about the legality of the issue. I've read up on it and do now; thanks for the information, I genuinely didn't know that.

It is also a non fruiting tree so no danger of them scoffing anything; they'll be long gone when it blossoms again next year.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE