Can anyone suggest a head torch for 30/40 quid?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Hi All

Looking for a head torch for no more than 40 quid. It'll be for using round a camp site, walking at night, and hopefully hanging up in my tent.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Ta

Ben

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Duracel headtorch, I think they are £15. Also have a red light which is good if you dont like insects in your face.

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
just taken delivery of an alpkit gamma and have to say I'm impressed for the money - £12.50 inc. P&P...better take it off now before someone comes in! :)

EDIT: Phew - that was close! ;)

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
I got the Draper wind up head lamp. It takes 5 minutes of winding up for 5 minutes of use so quite innefective. Im thinking of maybe trickle charge it from mains before each camp, anyone found a solution to this?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Omega 25009 from amazon, £3 plus £4 postage, but Milliets used to sell them for a tenner. bright longlasting and wearable. I've had the same one for three years. rechagable batteries last really well, and more than enough light for camp duties

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Petzl TIKKA PLUS² :)

Seconded. On full power, it's very bright. On reduced power, it lasts for ages. I tend to use it in red mode so as to preserve my dark adaptation, plus it's got a strobe mode that'll last continuously for something like a week. And there's a whistle built into the adjuster on the headband.

Still kinda like my old Zoom though...

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Tikka XP had mine for 4 years now. very hardy, no problems, goo battery life, variable power, different filters available (if you need them) and...very comfy

Cheers
Sack

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
I get confused by all these different Petzl Tikkas... (And none of them are "chicken") I think it's actually the XP² I've got.

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, just double-checked, and I don't think the Plus has the whistle. So, for proper strobe-and-whistle "rave mode", it's the XP you want. ;)

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
2nd vote for Petzl Tikka XP for all the same reasons as staed earlier.

Also: it has a standard wide beam like most LED lights have, but also a sliding lens that focuses the beam. GREAT!!! And an extra button to give an extra 30% more light for as long as you keep the button pushed in. I call it the "what's crawling in the bushes over there"-button.

Battery life is indeed very good, and it's durable an foolproof. Had mine over 5 years now.

Oh yeah....it comes in CAMO as well!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE