Can anyone recommend a sharpening stone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 7, 2017
York
Hi there guys!

I'm in the process of building up my kit for the first time. Can anyone recommend a good sharpening stone. There seem to be loads of options. I'm thinking I'll sharpen my knife and axe at home so not worried about weight/size.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Henry

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Nine times out of ten I reach for my Lansky diamond stones. I use it with the system for flat grinds and freehand on my axes. They're big enough to be comfortable to use, but small enough that you can carry a few with you on longer trips easily. Also, they'll do everything from carbon steels to high end stainlesses with ease. Definitely worth the investment.

Just be sure you get the kit with the diamond stones - the regular ones are no comparison.

If you've any cash left over invest in a good strop and that'll be you sorted for sharpening.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
Naniwa professional

400 - 1000 and 3000 grit!
good for carbon steel and stainless too!

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
DMT diamond stones are just about the best you can get , but ez- lap and others are probably just as good and cheaper.

I use the Japanese Waterstones at home, purely because of the lovely feel and smell you get when you use them .
If you enjoy the Sharpening process then I recommend those .

Double sided king stone (1000-6000) will do fine but the Naniwa and ice bear are superior

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
3M Automotive fine finishing sandpapers, use wet or dry.
A full sheet each of 600, 800, 1,000 and 1,500 costs me $6.00 total.
Hard box card scribbled with CrOx/AlOx as a strop and I'm ready to travel.
I need any hard flat surface underneath. Need a 8" x 3/4" tube or dowel as a mandrel for the crooked knives.

Sounds irregular but is quite practical. If you want to work freehand,
you must learn to hold the bevel angle from one grit to the next.
Practice a lot. There's some learning to do.
I can sharpen and hone a PacNW style crooked knife over my knee and make it look stupidly simple.
It was nothing of the kind to learn that.

Feb 7, 2017
York
Wow thanks for all the advice guys. This was my first post, I can see I'm going to learn a lot from this forum.

Thanks again

Henry

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I generally use a small norton (fine) stone 4" x 1" to keep my axe sharp, and a sandvik file the rare occasions it gets a bad nick. The norton works well on my straight knifes too. Only cost like £10 off ebay.
Dont forget your strop. I am surprised corporal jones never had a strop in among his kit, essential to keep a good clean sharp edge especially for fine finishing cuts if your carving. I only strop the knifes.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
After many adventures with stones, Spyderco Sharpmaker, EdgePro clone, I've happily settled with the double sided Diafolds. I much prefer to use the stone like a file rather than move the knife across a stone. Then strop with Autosol.

Last edited:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I only use DMT diafold double sided stones.
Black,blue on one and red and green on the other with a six inch double sided strop.
These do me for all my tools.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE