Can anyone recommend a double sided sharpening stone or alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Hello guys,

I'm looking for some sharpening kit that'll be portable enough to take out with me but will also leave a decent edge on my blades. The thing is all the choices are a bit bewildering!

My current blades are a SAK solider, an Opinel, a Mora 2080, and a wee hatchet I picked up in a moment of weakness. I'll be looking to buy a Bark River Knives blade (bumblebee) as soon as they're back in stock.

Can anyone recommend something that'll be flexible enough to use on scandi ground as well as convex ground blades?

Would a double sided stone and a strop be the best combination?

D

Deleted member 7976

Double sided stone and strop would be best yes. I always use my belt to strop for field sharpening.

As to stones it's a choice of diamond or stone. Diamond as mentioned DC3/4. Stone I'd go for a Japanese waterstone 1000/6000 cut down (or seperate slipstones). The Gransfors axe stone also works very well like this. It's reallly down to personal preference.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the DC4

Gets carried in the field most trips and comes in handy for tidying damaged edges up, I usually just strop a knife when I get home and that's enough to keep a good edge. I have waterstones but only really use them a couple of times a year if needed.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
DC4 or even better, the Spyderco doublestuff. If you have axes and larger blades, the Gransfors axe puck is much better than a cut down waterstone, and you can use it for your smaller blades too.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
Take your DC4, carefully cut the stitching of the leather pouch, then reverse the non-embossed side, and re-stitch.
Rub stropping compound into the leather.
Instant double sided stone/strop combo.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Another vote for the DC4 :)
Hadn't thought of the reverse pouch thing Graham :cool: I use a matching size leather covered piece of wood that warthog1981 made as a strop :D

cheers,
M

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
IMO, the extra size of the DC4 over the DC3 makes it my most used stone.

Having said that, my DC3 has a permanent place in my fishing bag for touching up knives & fish hooks....

SharpeningafishinghookwiththeDC3.jpg

Polishingthetipwiththeceramicside.jpg

Kind regards
Mick

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Take your DC4, carefully cut the stitching of the leather pouch, then reverse the non-embossed side, and re-stitch. Rub stropping compound into the leather.
Instant double sided stone/strop combo.

Clever thinking, I like that. Must give it a go at the weekend

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Hello guys,

I'm looking for some sharpening kit that'll be portable enough to take out with me ... My current blades are a SAK solider, an Opinel, a Mora 2080, and a wee hatchet ...

I have some credit-card sized diamond sharpeners which are very light and compact, they are from Silverline, who do a lot of really cheap tools:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/products?search=diamond

Sometimes you get what you pay for, sometimes you're pleasantly surprised. :)

Your Soldier probably has a part serrated (chisel ground) blade so either you'll need something that can get in the grooves, or you'll have to sharpen from the flat side only, or live without sharpening them at all. I use cylindrical India files (thin pencil-shaped sharpening stones) for my Swiss Tool, they work well on the serrated blade on my Victorinox. I haven't handled the Soldier so I don't know if the same stone will work on that blade. I did a group buy on the India files a while ago and I still have some of them left.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56195&p=687229#post687229

You shouldn't use the same sharpening kit on stainless and non-stainless blades. Particles of metal removed from one blade will become embedded in the other blades. This isn't so bad when stainless steel particles become embedded in non-stainless blades, but when it's the other way around the particles tend to encourage rust.

I like to travel fairly light (usually on a motorcycle) and to be honest if I were going to take more sharpening kit with me than a couple of tiny stones then it would either be because I was expecting to be travelling/camping for a very long time, or expecting to do a lot more work with sharps than I normally do. Even blades that I use every day don't need more than a gentle tickle with a steel every couple of weeks. If there's one thing I don't like about serrated blades it's that you can't really use a steel on them. Otherwise I love 'em, as long as they're a sensible pattern. Can't get excited about Spydies and such I'm afraid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE