Can anyone recommend a double sided sharpening stone or alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
After having tried japenase artifical stones and the DC4 I still vastly prefer sandpaper: 240, 400, 600 and 1000. Light too.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Forget the DC4 its crap compared to double sided diafolds by DMT and a strop with paste. Trust me I am a knife maker and all round knife nutt!
DMT DMT DMT DMT!!!!!!!!!!!!

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Robevs

Forget the DC4 its crap compared to double sided diafolds by DMT and a strop with paste......

?????

Whilst I can lay a verifable claim to being a knife user, I'm neither a "knife maker" nor an "allround knife nut", so I'm not sure I understand. What is it about the DC stones that you find "crap"?

Kind regards
Mick

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
'Crap, compared to' I wrote . I have a dc4 and a dc3 and the are ok but to rough in my opinion and with no handle are fiddly to use if your hands are cold and wet, sorry if my opinion offended any fans of the dc3&4

SouthernCross

Forager
Feb 14, 2010
Australia
G'day Robevs

'Crap, compared to' I wrote . I have a dc4 and a dc3 and the are ok but to rough in my opinion and with no handle are fiddly to use if your hands are cold and wet, sorry if my opinion offended any fans of the dc3&4

No offense taken :cool:

Just clarifying my understanding.

Kind regards
Mick

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
The DMT are nice but arnt they a bit on the dear side..
I have to confess i am still using blocks of wood with emery paper and a strop, be nice to have a more elegent solution but i just cant pey the money for these things...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
DMT is fine at home, but in the field, I just want something that really works with neither fuss nor bother :cool:
Besides the DC 4 + strop is well under £20 even with postage, while the diafolds are $25 *each* plus postage.

Actually, though I have diamond files and the like, even at home I just use the DC4 and the strop. The strop gets more use tbh., and my knives get a lot of use, but the strop really, really works :)

Everyone has an opinion :D

cheers,
M

p.s. I tell a lie :shocked: I've just googled for the diafolds in the UK........£30 each :yikes:
http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/item.php/sn/DMTFWE
or the double sided one as the OP asked for
£48 !!!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dmt-Double-Sided-Diafold-Coarse/dp/B00004WFTW

Bit cheaper on Ebay, thankfully :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE