Can anyone identify this animal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
A bit of background to the situation.....

I have a trail cam set up in a private woods and every week I change the memory card. Earlier in the year I was able to access a part that gets over grown with nettles and brambles. A few weeks back I got some pictures of some rabbits and didn't delete them. Then relocated the camera beefore it was over grown. Then scrolling through them the other day I noticed an odd looking animal running out of the rabbits warren and spooking the rabbit. It could just be another rabbit but I am unsure! I have since gone back with my machete and cleared the way and got the camera back in the same area.

What do you think? (it's on the right of the picture)

I hope the picture is clear enough when uploaded.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Actually I'd say it was a Hare Chris, the white stripe being the underside of the tail. Is that near Price?

It would make sense it being a Hare but it just looks a bit odd. Unfortunalty the camera took 3 consecutive pictures and I deleted the others without knowing what was there.
The only thing that makes me think is there has been otters spotted on a pond near by (a few fields away). There is a ditch currently with water in all the way from the pond to the woods.

It's about a mile away as the crow flies, Colin, but about 4 miles by car.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
It's not the best picture now it has been compressed but it looks like it's running in the opposite direction to the rabbit and it looks like it has small ears on the side of its head.

If anyone is interested in a better quality picture, PM me your email and I will send it to you.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hare in full sprint. White flash and I am sure I can see front paws down and rears over taking.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Others have suggested A hare, I am a bit confused as to what the op is actually asking about, I can see what looks very much like a Hare in full sprint going from left to right next to the tree but when I zoomed in on the mossy fallen tree to the right of the hare's fluffy but I can see something that looks like a small dog facing the opposite way from the hare (bum down head up floppy ears back) is this the odd looking animal?

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
db8713175f0575b6ffadad9f46515cc3.jpg

A beaver perhaps? I'm sure I read somewhere that they have been re-introduced back in to parts of the UK

Is there a river nearby?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
😀

Loving that beaver! 👍👍
Looks like a happy beaver...

I love a happy beaver!
😀

Last edited:

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Sorry, to be clear, it's the animal to the right of the shot just below the mossy log that looks like it's running from left to right and it has spooked the rabbit that is a couple of feet to the left and running off to the left with its white tail in the air. It is running out of the rabbits warren.

There are no rivers for at least 5 or 6 miles.

Otters were seen last year on someone's pond. there are networks of ditches everywhere which currently have water in them.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry, to be clear, it's the animal to the right of the shot just below the mossy log that looks like it's running from left to right and it has spooked the rabbit that is a couple of feet to the left and running off to the left with its white tail in the air. It is running out of the rabbits warren.

This animal? Looks very terrier'ish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE