Can anyone identify these berries (I'm hoping they're elderberries)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
ooh i love elderberry - grandma used to make wine and jelly from them - used to love collecting them when i was a kid - haven't been across any yet in our regular places - must make an effort to find some i think.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I react to elderberry wine every time.

I lose my sense of balance and start talking too loudly for some peculiar reason.

I alsu lse mi abilty to splll prepily......
drinking4.gif

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:lmao: :lmao:

Yeah those are elderberries.:approve:

I've been out for a daun'er this morning and picked a bag load. I know my local trees and one of them is sweet, juicy, tasty. Probably why the old folks call them eldercurrants. Other trees can be vile :shudder:
Safe than sorry with them, I agree, but they are very good food.
We call the Elder the Bourtree. The children's rhyme is
Bourtree, Bourtree, crookit rung,
Ever weak and never strong,
Flower and Fruit, baith sae sweet,
Ne'er trust a stick beneath y'r feet.

Basically, don't clamber up the tree, it'll break beneath you.

atb,
Toddy

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I react to elderberry wine every time.

I lose my sense of balance and start talking too loudly for some peculiar reason.

I alsu lse mi abilty to splll prepily......
drinking4.gif

I have a very simerlar reaction.

I always put it down it being the liquor of a fairy tree. There is an Irish legand of a fairy that smells alchol on the breath of a passer-by and then creeps up behind you, whacks you with spade on the back of the head, and then steals your money, and your memories of the last few hours. Now everytime I drink elderberry wine I feel like something has hit my on head most of the next day. I have asked permisson before picking and still I get hit with a spade.

Matt_M

Sep 3, 2008
Wolverhampton
Used to catapult these at each other when we were kids ! They make a right mess lol Never actualy tried one, or the wine...Will do soon tho as i see them all the time

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
I made a batch of Elderflower cordial, but totally forgot a bottle or three in the shed. Opended it last night and it's bloody good stuff :):) It has fermented i nthe bottles and matured to a quite strong beer. Very nice indeed. I shall be making a lot more of that come May next year! Wahey for the elder!! :):):)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE