Can anyone I.D this clip please?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I bought a couple of these clips a few years back and although the clip is relatively heavy (it's 3 inches long), they've definately been worth carrying. As far as I'm aware these clips are British military - I bought them as surplus. The 'collar' reads KAMET and is spring loaded. I'm assuming the cord, which is about 20 foot long, is original fitting and original length, but I don't know for sure.

Closed:

s2020030arl1.jpg

Open:

s2020031abc3.jpg

Showing the locking 'collar' wedged ajar:

s2020033adc6.jpg

Does anyone know what these are called?
Thanks in advance.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I seem to remember that these are halyards for a type of mast used by the Royal Signals but what type I'm afraid is lost in the mists of time! (basically, I can't remember!):eek:

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
Yes I can ID the clips they are off a military di-pole antenna and used to attach the guy lines on the different sections as it's raised, make great gundog training leads as well.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
B***er me of course they are! I was only in the Signals for 26 years, mostly using HF radio gear which uses dipole antennae, I should have remembered that!!

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Likewise!! Scaley indeed! I think it must be an age thing! Ooops, the site hung up just as I posted so I did twice! Definitely age!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Hey! I resemble that remark. Crab attached to the Rock apes.

That narrows it down. So, your either an Armourer, Stacker, JafAD, Heavy, Leccy (Dog Sh***er), Fitter or Cabbie. (i think i've covered light armoured, field, airborne and electric darts)

By the way you Army types, In the civilised world of the Royal Air Force, a 'Scaley' is what you'd call a 'Pad'. :rolleyes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks to all for the info :You_Rock_

Looks like a panic-snap

Kamet is a trade name for a manufacturer called Henssgen, there are a couple of current production models here.

http://www.henssgenhardware.com/diecast-snaps-2.cfm

Thanks - Other than the finish they do sell one that looks pretty much the same :notworthy.

So that's the civvy name covered - now what's the correct miltitary term? (or the name under which they'd be sold to the public)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE