Can anyone help confirm ID on these please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
IMG_5506b.JPG

IMG_5507b.JPG

IMG_5508b.JPG

IMG_5509b.JPG

and 3
IMG_5510b.JPG

1 I dont know, 2 I think are Damsons, 3 I'm pretty sure are Sloes.

2 and 3 are pretty similar in the pics but the first ones are much bigger and from wildly different trees.

Thanks
Nick

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
1, 2 & 3 are a fifty pence piece and a twenty pence piece with some weird folliage and fruit around them, glad to be of help ;) :D
:lmao:
GB.

Seiously what the others said would be what I think they are.

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
Cool thanks for the help.

One thing tho, I'm pretty sure 3 are sloes, agree there. However 2 are much, much bigger, come from bigger trees, 16ft high ish, and no thorns on them. They are as big as the 50 pence piece. They surely cant be the same as sloes can they?

Nick

PS SWMBO says they taste completely different too :)

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
Damsons are much more oval/plum shaped.

Man, get that sloe gin made! (but wait until October, they won't be quite right to pick yet) :)

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
hmm it is odd to find sloes that large, it is posible that they could be some kind of plumb/damson. the best way to tell is to have a little nibble of no.3 which we are all agreed are sloes (only a little nibble, although they are perfectly harmless they are incredibly bitter) and then a nibble of no.2, if no.2 is some kind of plumb/damson it will be a helluva lot sweeter. dont worry i can garuantee you neither of them are in the slightest bit poisonous :)

TJ

Nickthechippy

Jan 21, 2009
barnstaple
3 are really bitter, they ARE what sloes should be, but 2 are not, they look the same in the pics i agree but they are something different, they definately taste different. The pics on the bush are 3 ( Sloes) btw. Tonnes of them around here.

will open one up and post a pic later, off out now for a couple hours, back later

Nick

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
The larger looking sloe-type fruit could be a purple bullace. I'm not sure what's the exact difference between bullaces and damsons (I've seen people refer to the same thing by both names) but I tend to regard the more round shaped fruits as bullaces and the oval, sweeter ones as damsons.

Just to complicate things further I have a sloe bush in the garden that produces fruit that are slightly oval and much sweeter than other sloes, but they are the same size as sloes.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
whatever they are, they shall be lovely after being soaked in gin for a couple of months. :cool:

Colin.W

Nomad
May 3, 2009
Weston Super Mare Somerset UK
I agree the larger of the plum like fruits appear to be bullace still good for eating or jam/jelly making, there's a few trees where I walk my dog not quite ready but nearly.
The smaller ones are most likely sloes and the 1st 2 pics hawthorn

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE