can anybody help ,looking for these?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
What sort of size, you can get single handed ones for small logs up to about 10 incs up to big ones for huge trees

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Skid tongs and log tongs are differently finished Gill (at least where I learned). Skid tongs are designed for dragging (skidding) logs so end in some form of eye for chain attachment - log tongs are generally finished in a handle for lifting logs by hand. Hard to say which would suit your purpose best (without knowing what you intend)- I use a peavey hook more than either which is another variation with a bog long handle for leverage - used for rolling or positioning timber.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh neat - so a farm jack, a sack truck and a pair of skid tongs? I must admit I just use a come along and winch the things out - but I like that a lot - no need for an anchor point and a vertical lift self supporting - very, very clever :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I thought it was ingenious buddy, i have done fencing for years and have always burst them out with a pinch bar and brute force ,But it does not get any easier !i found that video this morning by accidnt and i thought i needs me one of those ,quite expensive and in the US ,so it looks easy enough to make up .The breaking out the old concrete footings is the worst bit of the job and this just looks like it would be worth its weight in gold !

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, can't see how it would be hard - get a really solid sack truck, cut back the lift plate and weld on some box section at 90 and 45 degrees to create the two lateral supports. If you use a lifting shackle to attach skid tongs to the farm jack, the jack should be able to be held in place with three brackets and bolts and be completely reusable as a jack. Any competent agricultural welder should knock that up in an hour if you supplied the jack and tongs.

Make sure you show us a picture when its done :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
There are two different lifting tongs in the video ,what would the one that clamps onto the old post be called?

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
A few times I used a long joist 6 x 2 as a lever with the post stub attached to it with rope a foot or so from the end....a few offuts of joist under the end of the lever to stop it sinking into the soil. A lot depends on how much concrete is in there, amateurs usually make their post holes far too big and theres like a 1/4 ton of concrete in there....
I like Red's come along idea (cargo ratchet straps are great for tensioning fence wire too) You could have a strong frame, like a sawhorse, but higher and stronger built, with a bigger gap underneath. Then set it above the dead post and use a ratchet strap to haul it out, using the grab hooks to reach under for ones where the post has rotted out? They do have some strong pulling power

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are two different lifting tongs in the video ,what would the one that clamps onto the old post be called?

They both look like sled tongs to me - I suspect though that the ones intended to dig into concrete have hardened points etc.. They are a much larger set (designed for wide tree trunks). It should be possible to fabricate something similar. The second one is a really simple scissor action set with a wide jaw - looks like a hardened steel spike one each jaw.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
They both look like sled tongs to me - I suspect though that the ones intended to dig into concrete have hardened points etc.. They are a much larger set (designed for wide tree trunks). It should be possible to fabricate something similar. The second one is a really simple scissor action set with a wide jaw - looks like a hardened steel spike one each jaw.
Thats what i thought BR.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE