camping sucks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
..The mittens argument is an old one but I wear glove liners under my mittens which is the equivalent to wearing clothes in a bag. And always warmer.

Agreed. But is it warmer than it would have been if you had added the insulation (from the glove liners) to a heavier mitten instead?

Not really disagreeing with you; I do the same thing myself.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Sooooo... Your clothes stop your body heat from getting into the bag?...Interesting...trapping the heat... But making you colder. Trapping it you may say, against your body....But if allowed to run free into the bag further away from your body it has a warming effect?

Bunkum!

You cannot break the laws of physics. More layers == warmer - unless a layer is compromised by compression or damp.

You NEED to heat the insulation layer of your sleeping bag, and the most effective way of doing so is by not wearing layers of clothing - clothing that will be compressed, damp and chilled from being on your body all day. If you go into a sleeping bag wearing layers of clothes you will take far longer to warm up as the convection from you to the bag is impaired by your layers of clothing. As you put it " You cannot break the laws of physics " .

Think of a wetsuit and how it works, heating the water trapped in the material and forming a barrier against the cold water outside. Or why hypothermia can be treated by getting into a sleeping bag with another person and neither wearing much in the way of clothing, in order to most effectively transfer heat to each other and the insulation.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Or why hypothermia can be treated by getting into a sleeping bag with another person and neither wearing much in the way of clothing, in order to most effectively transfer heat to each other and the insulation.

This is completely different - but illustrates my point. The person with hypothermia is "cold" to get them "warm" you need to remove insulation to allow the heat to flow from the warm person quickly (the warm person will get colder, the cold person will get warmer) without being impeded by insulation to the cold person. Insulation keeps cold things cold and warm things warm.

However if the only source of heat for the person with hypothermia is there own body then they need to preserve as much of it as possible by trapping it all against there own body. Layers, layers layers.

the convection from you to the bag is impaired by your layers of clothing.

I'm fascinated - where does this impaired trapped heat go?

Last edited:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Bump for the actual question the OP posed ...

I went camping in loch lomond at a campsite for 1 night and it really changed my mind about sleeping in a tent....

I couldn't get comfortable on the ground and the cheap mat I bought gave no comfort at all, also I was wearing clothes to keep me warm a really thick jumper with t shirt underneath and jeans.....I was bloody freezing!

I got 1 hour sleep that night!

Is there any better, more comfortable way to camp like using a hammock and tarp and wearing thermals....what ya think?

What mat were you using? And a really stupid question ... you mention wearing clothes to keep you warm, but were you also using a sleeping bag (et.c)?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
+1 to that. I almost can't believe I'm reading this. Where's a mod when you need one? :nono:

Right here.
I tried. See post #117 :rolleyes:

Thing is, everybody 'is' trying to be helpful. However we all tackle that in our own way.

Sit back, chill, it's not the end of the world, he'll suss it out, and we'll still be having the arguement about jeans and clothing in sleeping bags next time the topic comes up.

History repeats itself. It has to, no one listens the first time.

Mod Hat on; relevant discussion is fine, flaming and/or insulting other members, isn't.

atb,
M

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Im more confused reading this whole thread in one go than when I started.
Am I right in saying...
1. Wear jeans to Bushcraft and bum around in the woods. But in the UK if you plan to hike or go to altitude where you may get wet wear tec clothing.
2. Avoid all badgers at all costs especially British, horney ones.
3. In a sleeping bag wear dry clothing when sleeping. Un less you are military and have to get out of said bag quickly to fight badgers.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...If you go into a sleeping bag wearing layers of clothes you will take far longer to warm up as the convection from you to the bag is impaired by your layers of clothing...

Actually two organizations teach diferently:
1. The Boy Scouts teach that you get into the bag dresses, and than undress in the bag (they call it "wrestling with yourself") to generate body heat
2. The military issues "sleep shirts and pants" (essentially base layers) and teach that you need that layer to optimize your bag's performance.

Both organizations have a fair amount of experience.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
If you want to lose a new members interest quickly, talk about stuff that isn't really that relevant to the original question and then
ARGUE about it for 135 posts!

I know when my inbox get more than 10 or 12 boring comments I go unsubscribe and look eleswhere.

Unsubscribed 100 posts ago.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
If you want to lose a new members interest quickly, talk about stuff that isn't really that relevant to the original question and then
ARGUE about it for 135 posts!

I know when my inbox get more than 10 or 12 boring comments I go unsubscribe and look eleswhere.

Unsubscribed 100 posts ago.

Yet you comment and fill the thread up with MORE nonsense.

At least those arguing were trying to help the op, which is more than can be said for your last post.

Bye bye
:sulkoff:

Hey don't let the door hit you in the bottom on the way out :nana:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...BP said quite clearly not to sleep in dayclothes, Santaman. Maybe the Scouts have changed :dunno:

M

Possibly. I really don't think so though. At any rate their policy was same as most of us; don't sleep in day cloting, just don't undress until after you're in the bag (and conversly, put them back on before getting out of the bag in the morning)

Pretty much the same thing taught on an old (1950s era) military training film for Arctic manuevers somebody posted on anther thread

Last edited:

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
so basically:

camping can be tolerable, providing you work within your comfort limits.

jeans are fine, other modern choices might be 'better' but if you're man enough then go for it! you'll save a load of money by wearing what you already have.

insulation is important, and vital to stay warm(/alive if the wether is serious). A foam mat or underblanket will provide a degree pf valuble insulation that will help you stay warm.

Badgers are the biggest killer, 95% of all deaths experienced by campers in Britain are badger related.

professionals in each culture/part of the world teach different things, but all follow simular guidlines.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
yeah pretty much Samon. But I think I read somewhere that the badger danger is hightened during rutting season.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE