Camping+ Sleeping in below zero temperatures

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
is wearing a balaclava necissary? i have a normal 'Thinsulate' hat would this do a good job? Do most people wear a balaclava when sleeping out like this?

A little tip for cold weather camping do some running on the spot before getting into you bivi and remove all clothes down to your base layer you will be much warmer

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
All of the advice is good but you know what I would seriously suggest a hammock if there are trees availabe
Get up off the ground Get comfy Keep dry
I ground bivvied last month for the first time as opposed to hammock and have since traded my proper bivvy bags on as a result lol
Still as long as you enjoy it

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
If you're sleeping on the ground, make sure you've got plenty of insulation beneath you.
An extra roll mat is always handy, It can make a huge difference.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Lots of good advice here.

When I last set up my tarp expecting sub-zero temperatures I set it up with one end close on the ground so that these was only one entrance and less air circulation:
(mine is the one in the middle)
bivisite.jpg

A thermarest, a down bag and my HH hoodie and I was toasty warm all night despite the very hard frost.

I got the tarp set-up from:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZ...layer_embedded

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Thank you for all the advice everyone!

Ive got my tarp up, im going to sleep out tonight. Will be going out in a minute... I have put a thick layer of spruce boughs down to form a good matress aswell as having my ground mat on top. Ive got all 12 guy lines on the tarp so that is snow settles on the roof it wont cause too much strain.

Im staying near the house so i can come inside if things get too cold. Im wearing a balaclava too so i should be ok.

Wish me luck:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best of luck with it Jon :D
I love that feeling of waking up warm with cold fresh air around me :)

I second (third?fourth?) what folks said about the head covering and insulation below you, it makes an almightly difference.

cheers,
Toddy

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
For the ultimate "warm in the cold" experience sleep in a snow trench, looking up at the northern lights and the milky way spread across the sky like if one of the Norse gods had cascade spewed his milk. Doing that at -30 C is one of the best memories of my life.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
is wearing a balaclava necissary? i have a normal 'Thinsulate' hat would this do a good job? Do most people wear a balaclava when sleeping out like this?

Jon advantages of a balaclava is that it will be harder to fall off if you move around and your face stays warm.
That said I cant stand things on my face when I sleep so I always use a wool hat, although I have found thinner the better as it stays on your head longer and keeps you warmer for longer.

andythecelt

Nomad
May 11, 2009
Planet Earth
It's worth trying a few types of balaclava to see what suits you best. I can't stand anything over my face either so I have an open faced pile number. With that and a beard the only parts of my face exposed are the bits generally used to it.

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
My tip as one of the may scots on this site would be to make sure you have plenty of sun cream with you, this is sunbathing weather to us who are cut from the north, my father was a block of granite and my mother an ice berg ect ect...

In all seriousness, just get out there and do it, yes there is lots of great tips posted here, especially the dont go to far, but in all reality i often find you learn most by just doing ii and finding what is really best for you, its amazing how we all adapt to new situations when we have to, that way you will expand you so called comfort zone. i remember when i first went out in -17 up at loch awe, it was a big deal to me then, now its just another day, you will find that unless you are really silly and have went out without the right kit, that you will be fine and most of all "JUST ENJOY IT AND DONT FIGHT IT", always work with nature and not against it, try to use the lie of the land in the correct way, as in dont camp on a ridge during high winds and dont camp in a sunken valley during cold weather.

Hope you have a great time

Merry xmas Colin

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I was mid-expedition when it snowed last year, I was very warm in my bivi-bag and snugpak sleeper lite - It's when you get out of the bivi-bag that's the worst part!
It was the most magical expedition I have been on and will never forget it - I totally recommend camping out in the snow, just have the right kit and make sure you have a back-up plan if things don't go to the original plan.

Last edited:

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Hi, I slept out and all was fine... I wore a balaclava which i think helped a lot! I made a matress of spruce boughs aswell as having my sleeping mat. In the morning my tarp was a sheet of ice... looking forward to doing it again soon! I may sleep out for several days in a row.

Thank you for all the advice!

Coln, i was wondering what Loch Awe was like... is it good for bushcraft? A nice natural area?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE