Camping on Scout sites

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
When my kids were young, they belonged to the beavers and cubs, and I used to take them camping on Scout sites. I chose to do this because I felt they would be safer than if I took them to other commercial sites, and because I could give them more freedom, and I could make our camp more 'back to basics' if you know what I mean. I loved it and so did they.

One of my favourite sites down south was Bently Copse in Shere - very nice warden and beautiful site.

First question, is this still allowed?

Secondly, as they are all grown up and no longer have any connection with scouting, would I still be able to use Scout sites?

PS, s-orry if this has already been asked. :)

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex
Cheers Matt. Sounds crazy because of me being new to the site, but I have this ridiculous urge to organise a meet and literally throw myself into the deep end.

Considering that I know little about bushcraft and even less about you guys that seems a bit crazy but there you go. I am pretty good at organising things so maybe I could make it work and in the process get to know some of you and learn a few things about bushcraft while I am at it!

Ive got some photos of my last camp at Shere with my kids when they were younger, so if I can I will get them scanned and post them up. We even had a Union Jack flying on a flag pole! Thats how much I wanted them to get into the spirit of it all.

I think I will make some enquiries about this and see where it goes.

I notice in your second link it mentioned about not being able to camp during the official scout season because of police checks etc? I will look into that as well. :)

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Not crazy at all Brian.

It doesn't matter if you landed on this planet yesterday or are Ray Mears, the fact is that organising a meet purely requires bushcraft enthusiasm rather than any bushcraft skill.

I say go for it! Meets and of course the official Moots are special events that encompass the spirit of bushcraft where people help each other, pass on skills, knowledge and wisdom and the more this happens then the more we all as a community and individually benefit, learn and grow.

phaserrifle

Nomad
Jun 16, 2008
South of England
I think that it is possible, but they tend to discourage it because they don't want to be over-run with non-scouts. certainly duke of edinborough and school groups can use them. or at least that's the case at my local scout camp site (ferny-crofts, hampshire)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I actually phoned one Hertfordshire scout campsite that's 10 minutes from me to make enquiries about whether it would be possible to book a pitch for a group of people to have a bushcraft moot there.

The lady told me that unless I was part of a 'recognised' organisation i.e. religious group, club etc they couldn't help. Said it was to do with liability insurances so I said what if we were to have our own insurance she said that still didn't get round the 'recognised' organisation part.

So that blew that one out but I have emailed the district registrar to make enquiries about another site they have so fingers crossed that might work out.

If not, I'll just have to figure out how one creates a recognised organisation that could use their facilities.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I actually phoned one Hertfordshire scout campsite that's 10 minutes from me to make enquiries about whether it would be possible to book a pitch for a group of people to have a bushcraft moot there.

The lady told me that unless I was part of a 'recognised' organisation i.e. religious group, club
why don't BCUK add public liability to there full members signup fee

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I think it comes down to local policy at individual camps sites and I suspect the "Recognised groups", "CRB checks" and "Insurance" arguments are raised to justify the decisions of the staff at those sites.

I don't think there is a national policy on this because there is such a wide difference across the regions.

In other places the policies make no sense at all, such as saying you can't camp here without a CRB, when there is a heavily used public footpath running through the site. :dunno:

Until this obsessive paranoia fed by the media and the ambulance chasers dies down, I think we'll just have to work on building good relationships where we can.

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
"Secondly, as they are all grown up and no longer have any connection with scouting, would I still be able to use Scout sites?"

I've used Bently Copse a couple of times for Troop camps - it's reasonbly local after all - and a couple of years ago I enquired if a reenactment group that I was a part of might be able to use one of the buildings for a weekend event. I was told that due to child safety measures this could only happen if one of 2 criteria were met:

1) every participant could be proved to be CRB checked
2) the group hired the entire site for the weekend.

Which sort-of put a scupper on the entire idea.

A year or so later I enquired about me camping with some friends (a man (Jakkunen for those who remember him on here), his fiance and her 4 year-old kid), and was told that this could not be done, unless all adults were - once again - verified as CRB checked. I got the same response from Phazels Wood near Hemel Hempstead and Broadstone Warren as well.

So I wouldn't hold your breath.:(

That said, I got a positive response from Ferney Crofts, and so we went there!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
[I......... I got the same response from Phazels Wood near Hemel Hempstead ....

The lady told me that unless I was part of a 'recognised' organisation i.e. religious group, club etc they couldn't help. Said it was to do with liability insurances so I said what if we were to have our own insurance she said that still didn't get round the 'recognised' organisation part.

Hmmmm...... strange how what they tell you one year is different the next. It was Phasels Wood that I tried originally and the lady never even mentioned CRB checks, just we had to belong to a 'recognised' organisation.

As Wayland said we just have to build good relationships where we can and go on from there.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
i wouldnt see a problem if there were no kids on the site at the time use where there, doe to the crb checks etc use would need to go through.

use could also try contacting the district/county exec and seek there permission to camp for a small fee (money or just help tidy the site before use leave?)

webbie

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Local rues for campsites whether they let none scouting groups/individuals use them are just that. The Scout Association does not restrict use as such and CRB checks are not required unless it is a local rule as far as I can tell though child protection is a consideration.

Go and ask the worst they can do is say no. If you offer to do worthwhile work you are likely to get to stay for free.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE