Camping In Southern England

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GamesNET2

Banned
Dec 23, 2007
Surrey
A strange question really... I'm getting into a bit of wild camping and bushcraftery if you will. And i was wondering, is there anything stopping me pitching up in the north downs somewhere and setting up camp for a few days in the forest with my dog? Any ideas of where to go around the Surrey side of England. I was also planning a trip to Snowdon soon, any recomendations as to making it more of a trip with a bit of climbing maybe?

Will

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
The north downs are farmland, so the usual rules about getting permission from the farmer will apply. If you are down the Folkestone end of the Downs then there are some military training areas that you could probably set up with some care.

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
You can pitch up about the place, but its the same as the South Downs, you gotta find a good place to do it and do it at twilight to avoid getting caught or seen...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Please be courteous in the advice you post. Other folks have apparantly been refused permission to camp based on the claim that BcUK promoted wild camping.

This isn't true, but mud sticks :(

BcUK simply asks that all advice posted is legal, and advises that members seek permission from landowners to camp, or otherwise use, their land.

I have no axe to grind in this folks, I'm Scottish and it's different up here, but please don't add to the problems for other folks trying to find land to use.

Cheers,
Toddy

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I must say when I lived in Scotland it used to **** me off when we turned up early to hunt and someone would just emerge from the edge of the woods on our land as if they owned the place totally disrespectful thinking they had every right to be there
Please be aware when wild camping that there may be people using the land for other proposes other that camping, all land in Scotland and England is owned by someone

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
A lot of the North Downs are indeed now farmland, there are wooded areas but as with most areas in the SE they are more frequented and closer to civilisation than the ideal woodland camp might be.

A place to try might be Wye Country Park, I've seen a few natural shelters close to the paths so I imagine the rangers might be amicable to a bushcrafty request. I've no idea on its status as a campsite as I was passing through quickly, but it might be worth a try.

You could also try one of the meetup threads-I think theres both Surrey and Kent ones.

Also be aware that along the North downs way there are a lot of SSSIs which add an extra legal dimension in terms of use and the likelyhood of getting permission to stay.

Snowdon on the other hand sounds just the ticket...

timtom1

Forager
Sep 12, 2005
Lancs
www.barkcanoe.net
wild camping in Snowdon is a defiant no no! if you get caught you will get done its not just frowned upon in North Wales they don’t accept any excuses. Get permission if you plan to do it in Wales.

Last time I was at Geirionydd there was a bunch of wild campers who had put their own lock on the gate and this ****ed the range off they made a right mess, so its a no tolerance issue now there.

Scotland is your best bet.

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Aslong as your above the intake walls (the wall that marks the edge of farmland) in wales you can bivi, but no open fires :neo2:

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
I have been camping afew times at yellow wood outside of Hereford. The owner Paul allows Camping with fire in pits he has scattered around his property. £5.00 per person per 24 Hrs. £5.00 per wheel barrow load seasoned firewood. Check out his site http://www.bushcraftadventures.com/ I recommend it he takes great pride in what he has built out of 30ish acres of wooded land.

Reactions: Hodgeheg

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I have been camping afew times at yellow wood outside of Hereford. The owner Paul allows Camping with fire in pits he has scattered around his property. £5.00 per person per 24 Hrs. £5.00 per wheel barrow load seasoned firewood. Check out his site http://www.bushcraftadventures.com/ I recommend it he takes great pride in what he has built out of 30ish acres of wooded land.

ive just taken a look at that site,looks realy good,i guess ille be going there at some point in the spring/summer.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
I must say when I lived in Scotland it used to **** me off when we turned up early to hunt and someone would just emerge from the edge of the woods on our land as if they owned the place totally disrespectful thinking they had every right to be there
Please be aware when wild camping that there may be people using the land for other proposes other that camping, all land in Scotland and England is owned by someone

Just becuase it's owned doesn't mean you can't go on it neccessarily. What really **** me off is when an arrogant landowner assumes they have the only rights to be on the land.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE