Campfire Sunday Roast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

motz

Apr 17, 2010
Leicester & Chelmsford
Hey all, just had a conversation with a mate about how good Sunday Roasts are (particularly if you've not been home for ages!), and was wondering if anyone has successfully made or even attempted to make a sunday roast whilst camping?

I think it would certainly be a hard task - particularly to get everything to be done just at the right time, but would be great to see if anyone has tried...

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hey all, just had a conversation with a mate about how good Sunday Roasts are (particularly if you've not been home for ages!), and was wondering if anyone has successfully made or even attempted to make a sunday roast whilst camping?

I think it would certainly be a hard task - particularly to get everything to be done just at the right time, but would be great to see if anyone has tried...

It's not that hard... just have a look at this thread

The Unusual suspects love their campfire Sunday roast :rolleyes:

Bigfoot

Settler
Jul 10, 2010
Scotland
You need a pan to catch the dripping fat which you then use to baste the meat (sorry if that's mentioned in the thread linked above, I didn't have time to look :) )

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Made christmas dinner on an open fire last year.....Took some effort though, and it was minus a few trimmings and sprouts...every cloud eh?

that's just a sunday dinner, the sprouts are how you know that it's christmas!

stuart

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I was chatting to the owner of a camp site recently who said a couple of Christmasses ago three families booked in for Christmas Eve for a couple nights and set up an outdoor Christmas, cooking the turkey and trimmings and the rest of the stuff. I think she said they even rigged up some fairy lights...

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
Made christmas dinner on an open fire last year.....Took some effort though, and it was minus a few trimmings and sprouts...every cloud eh?

I am with Shaggy on this one. Sprouts are little green balls of wonder and I seem to be the only person around my Christmas table that actually digs them.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
A Coleman camp oven can turn out a nice roast;

ColemanRoastBeef1.jpg

motz

Apr 17, 2010
Leicester & Chelmsford
haha some amazing pics guys..Graham I'm loving the mashed swede 'bush style' :)!

Now I know it's possible I'm going to have to give it a go in the future, like was said, all it takes is planning and preperation.... plus a little help from your friends.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
One of the best pieces of meat I ever cooked was done in a pit. Covered in leaves, coated with clay, plavved with some damp grass in a pit with hot rocks.

Got to admit I loved it when I had venison cooked like that.

What made it taste even better was having virtually no food for about 5 days prior to having it :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE