Campfire Projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leon-1

Oh yes, beautiful work.
What is your knife pictured there and did you use a crook knife aswell?

The knife that Neil used and is in this picture is an old Frosts Mora, the sheath was custom made to his design. He likes the frosts for carving (infact he uses it for a lot of work) as it gives him a lot of control.

I can't tell you if he used a crook knife, sometimes he does and sometimes he doesn't.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Oh yes, beautiful work.
What is your knife pictured there and did you use a crook knife aswell?

As Leon has already said I use the old Frosts knife pictured a lot. The lightweight means I don't notice I'm wearing it and the blade geometry is ideal for carving stuff. Mind the same knife also gets used for everything from splitting kindling to skinning deer lately.
I used a crook knife to, tho the next I'll burn out.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Knocked this fella up the other day, not done by a campfire as a bit layed up at the mo, but I did finish it beside the woodburner.:D

Unfortunetly its slowly leaking from a few spots even though ive soaked it in oil for days. Do you reckon theres a natural wax or other to deal with this, or should I epoxy the offending areas.
Cheers.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Anyway - anyone else got piccys of "fireside-projects" they have made lately?

Same as addo. Not from the fire-side and down to having been layed up.

Pouch to replace the nylon mesh bag that the pots came with.

Quite often I use the small pot on its own - so I made a pouch for it too.

Pots nestled together.

Replacement pouch for backpackinglight's Honey Stove.

I made the sheath, but not the snips.

I was given a strip of leather to make a belt - I 'borrowed' the idea from a thread by Eric

Belt pouch. Usable but needs buttons (I'm in the process of making them).

Pic showing the flop pockets

Copper tube with caps.

Cap removed - contains lengths of bees-waxed synthetic sinew with needles already attached.

Mitts.

Their liners. One is inside out to show the fur.

Measure twice and cut once. Pic shows the gouch having been sewn back into place :eek: .

Slope bag - Still a long way to go on this one!

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Decorum,
That is excellent, you've got a real talent there! really good stuff. I have an old set of Dachstein mitts and keep meaning to knock up an outer for them (but not by the campfire - if you have seen my hand stitching you would know why!).
Come on guys theres got to be some more stuff out there you have created in the woods!
N

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I have an old set of Dachstein mitts and keep meaning to knock up an outer for them (but not by the campfire - if you have seen my hand stitching you would know why!).

Thanks for the kind words. I have the same problem with hand stitching; I'm pretty much a newbie at leather work - others seem to like it though :dunno: :eek: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE