Campfire pot stand

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
bikething said:
i'm thinking that a bunsen burner heats whatever is on the stand in a small area in the middle of the triangle, whereas a campfire heats everything above it i.e. the whole stand..

Bunsen burners, with something sitting ontop of the tripod support, will heat the whole top, which do get very hot. I suspect much hotter than it would get in a normal camp fire, presumming the tripods are engineered to cope with a slightly misplaced bunsen should easily cope with a campfire

<talk amongst yourselves while I use a search engine......>

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3557077.stm
"Forest or brush fires usually only reach temperatures of around 300 degrees Celsius. But hearths or campfires can reach temperatures of 600 degrees Celsius or more. "

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orders_of_magnitude_(temperature)
"1170 K, large log fire flames
1670 K, blue candle flame
1808 K, melting point of bound iron (lower for steel)
1870 K, Bunsen burner flame "

( take off 273 to convert to degrees centegrade )

Is it's big enough to be stable would be my worry.

cyclist said:
got one of those (great-great-grandfather used it, probably 150 years old), made by the local blacksmith from one piece of steel: heated up to white glow and treated with a hammer on the anvil - no bolts, no rivetts, nothing fancy. Just designed to do the job.

Perfect for trecking with a packhorse - unfortunately a bit heavy for the backpack :rolleyes:

Btw, small rocks make a nice pot stand (which has to be three-legged, four or more legs make it tippy - regardless what material the stand is made from)

Sounds cool , could you post a picture ?

Gailainne

Life Member
bikething said:
interesting...

but i don't fancy the chances of those nuts / threads after a few heat / cool cycles over a fire...

Simple solution is to have the legs with a shoulder, and a smaller pin above that fits into holes on the triangle, the weight of the pot, or whatever will stabilise it, no nuts to loose.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Singeblister said:
Sounds cool , could you post a picture ?

unfortunately no pic, you´ll get an idea on
www.attergau-zeitreise.at/kueche99.htm

scroll down a bit and you´ll find "Dreifuß" and it´s deluxe version with adjustable heat: the "Pfannknecht"

both are made from one piece of steel - forging was no problem in those old days of no mass production with low labor cost. Drilling holes (for attaching rivetts or bolts) in hard metals was a major operation, not to mention the fabrication of threads on nuts and bolts ....

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It looks like Andrew ( Outdoorcode ) has managed to get these over from Norway at last.

trivet.jpg

I got one in Norway last year and it's been very good.

In fact I might just get another..... :bluThinki

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE