Campfire pot stand

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I was watching Ray Mears last night and spotted a triangular pot stand that he used with a frying pan. Anyone know where I can get one or something similar?

Thanks

Steve R

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
Lincolnshire UK
Should be easy enough to make or have made, 3 pieces of 1/2" flat bar (used on edge) 3 pieces of 1/4" diameter round bar.

Bend the ends of the flat bar at the angle required to make the triangle when assembled, leave enough bar on the bend for 2 holes, One for the leg, one outside of that as a leg stop so the thing doesnt open flat.

Hammer a flat onto one end of each round bar.

Drill the two holes in each end of the flat bar, through the outside hole rivet with a spacer just a bit wider than the leg top.

Drill a hole in each flattened end of the round bar, slightly lower than centre (as near the edge as you can get still leaving metal for strength). Inboard hole should be central or just slightly above centre.

Gently rivet the leg to the flat bar between the bars (gently, dont forget it has to move :D ).

Legs should pivot out to the 'stop' rivet at a slight outward angle, that should be secure. Should pack flat when not in use.

I would suggest drawing the triangle onto paper or cardboard as a template for the angles.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
how about something like this?

trianglerackop0.jpg

appologies for the poor drawing, i'm no technical artist

in explination it is essentially 3 round bar legs with an eye bent at one end big enought to allow the bar to fit through and a 90 degree bend part way down. once all 'threaded' together it would provide a triangular support wtht should be self supporting!?

I have to admit this is just an idea - i've never made one but I would think it should work.........

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Similar small triangular stands are used in laboratories all over. Any god lab supply shop should have them

Red

Feb 2, 2007
South London
g4ghb Graham,
Your drawing looks remarkably like link-stake gardening plant supports.
They are thick wire bent into an L shape with a loop to hook in the next stake.
Usualy come plastic coated and in various sizes.
Most garden centres or web stores stock them.
Im not sure if they would be stiff enough though.
Ive got some sitting in the garden.

Gordon

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
godfather said:
I was watching Ray Mears last night and spotted a triangular pot stand that he used with a frying pan. Anyone know where I can get one or something similar?

Thanks

If it is the one I think, try andrew at outdoorcode as if my sources are correct, he is trying to get them imported

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Singeblister said:
That thing instantly reminded me of the old triangle cowboys used to bash when the grub was up , very easy thing to make I would think I will try and get some round mild and have a bash at it :)

got one of those (great-great-grandfather used it, probably 150 years old), made by the local blacksmith from one piece of steel: heated up to white glow and treated with a hammer on the anvil - no bolts, no rivetts, nothing fancy. Just designed to do the job.

Perfect for trecking with a packhorse - unfortunately a bit heavy for the backpack :rolleyes:

Btw, small rocks make a nice pot stand (which has to be three-legged, four or more legs make it tippy - regardless what material the stand is made from)

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
bikething said:
interesting...

but i don't fancy the chances of those nuts / threads after a few heat / cool cycles over a fire...
As a lab stand for use over a bunsen burner I thought it would probably have been made to withstand a few 100 deg. But who knows? Looks the part though :D

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
i'm thinking that a bunsen burner heats whatever is on the stand in a small area in the middle of the triangle, whereas a campfire heats everything above it i.e. the whole stand..

edit: had a message from ODC that he may have trivets like waylands sometime next week :) - having seen waylands in the flesh i want one..maybe 2 :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE