Campfire Instruments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
A senior American officer once said: ‘Going to war without the French is like going deer-hunting without my accordion.’

Regardless of the slur on French military prowess, he had a point. Music round the campfire is pleasant, but not when you’re carrying the accordion. So I thought I’d look at the more lightweight options.

013.jpg

The tin whistle/penny whistle has long been a staple of Irish music but is also a traditional instrument in Scottish and English culture. It is both easy and impossible to play. Easy, because you can pick one up and rattle off simple slow tunes within minutes. Impossible, because – well just look at the speed of some jigs and see if you can get there.

The great thing is that there are fantastic resources on the internet for learning instruments- free tutorials, music, mp3 files, you name it.

The picture shows, from left to right, the Clare Whistle, the Irish Feadog, and the ‘Meg’ whistle by Clarke’s – all in the key of D, which is recommended for the beginner. It’s a close tie between the Clare and the Feadog but I prefer the Feadog. The Meg is more cheaply made, quieter, and just not in the same league in my opinion. All these whistles are very cheap - £5 to £10.

The 12 gauge cartridges are there for scale – although those who’ve heard me play might suggest another use for them…

An alternative to the whistle is the harmonica – also known as a ‘harp’ by our colonial friends, or a ‘moothie’ here in Scotland. The traditional harp is the Hohner Marine Band, which has been in continuous production for a century or so. However, it has a wood comb which is apparently harder for beginners, and may warp with outdoor use. Right in the picture is The Marine Band Special 20 by Hohner, which has a plastic comb and is highly recommended. The other harp is a £3 Chinese Golden Cup. It was out of tune on purchase. Not recommended. I have heard good things about the Suzuki Folkmaster which is £10 delivered on ebay, and the Hohner Big River Harp, which is between the Folkmaster and the Special 20 in both price and quality.

The harp is, IMHO, much harder than the whistle. It took me 2 wks to get single notes reliably, but now I’m progressing beyond ‘Kumbaya’ with a target of Springsteen’s intro to The River. Like the whistle, the internet harp resources are amazing.

Now the dark nights are on us, a campfire instrument is worth considering. A whistle or harp weighs little, and costs a fiver or a tenner. Acquiring skill takes a little time and perseverance, but it fits with the ‘know more, carry less’ ethic.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've inherited a Bandmaster harmonica from the wifes grandad, I keep having a go now and then but it's hard work.
I can just about muster a very poor rendition of Popeye the Sailorman, it's so poor in fact that I wouldn't dream of inflicting it on any fellow campers just yet. I do like a good tune round the fire though, I've been to a couple of meets this year with some talented musicians and it makes a nice accompaniment to the usual banter.

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
:eek:

WOW

Never thought hearing somebody play a harmonica could make the hairs on my neck stand on end.

I'm still on page 1 of "How to play a harmonica", got a bit of catching up to do.

Keep at it Shewie, i've played one on and off for a few years now, i've got a Hohner Blues harp in A, but the classic one is in C i think.

Here's a nice site for a few harp tabs to have a go with. Suck blow, and breathe through your nose lol.

http://www.harptabs.com/

Pucker up baby. :bigok:

stonyman

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 8, 2004
Gloucester
Thank you for that link, it made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and brought tears to my eyes, the first piece he played was my late grand mothers favourite piece of music.

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
Holy smokes!....That was awesome.....Thanks fer the link there fella.
As a campfire musican mesel'......penny whistle....Mouth organ....guitar....digeridoo.....An' basically anything found at the fireside.....includin' bits o' pipe an' a funnel!...I loves music in the wilds....but there is a time an' place....an' not ALL are into it. Tho I've sat around many a fire wi' some awesome singers...both folk an' contemp.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
heh, got a harmonica and a book for christmas last year, spent a while trying to learn it, got a few tunes out of it but i'm not great. my m8 picked up a harmonica and within a week is blasting out tunes without problems, he's never played before but has a great ear for music and is already jamming along with me and another m8 whilst we sing/play guitar.

i've been tempted by the whistle for a while actually and i can't really find an excuse not to get one now, although i was looking at making my own double flute from elder.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
I have three harmonicas, one in C, one in G and the other is a Chinese tremolo harmonica, all plastic combs and I really want to learn to play them properly. I can play some tunes like "camp town races" and "she'll be coming round the mountain" but I'd love to be able to improvise on them or play some nice blues.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I love a bit of folk music around the camp fire - now and then!
There were some awsome musicians at "the naughty corner" and I would like to have heard more of their stuff.
Me - no musical tallents at all...but I like to join in anyway!:D

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
If you're thinking of learning the whistle, you'd be far better off buying one first - they're cheap, and a properly-made one is much easier to play. I've got a whole bunch, and I'd agree that the Feadóg is one the best of the budget whistles that I've tried. Oak whistles are also pretty good at that price level, as are Clarkes (the proper Original Clarke, not the Meg - although at £1.99, the Meg isn't a bad whistle for the money). One thing to be aware of though is that these mass-produced whistles are a bit variable - to get a really good one, you really need to go through a whole lot of them in the shop, which most places won't let you do. Still, they're perfectly serviceable for a beginner. If you get really in to it, you'll probably want to buy a decent whistle eventually - I recently bought a Tony Dixon Pro D which is far superior, and still reasonably priced at somewhere under £40. Although I'm not sure that I'll be taking it camping...

When my step-brother was learning the harmonica, the big problem he found was that no-one can actually show you what they're doing...

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Bending notes on the harmonica is the most difficult thing to show in the world.... imagine your finger stuck in your mouth flapping your tongue around whilst trying to explain how it makes the sound

...ugh-oogh-ghh-uuh!

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Bending notes on the harmonica is the most difficult thing to show in the world.... imagine your finger stuck in your mouth flapping your tongue around whilst trying to explain how it makes the sound

...ugh-oogh-ghh-uuh!

Yep, agree mate but i found bending the notes easy, i sorta double suck but in my throat, if you know what i mean ?:confused:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Some folks ability to create music around a campfire is, to me, beyond magical.
I have tried and decided that it is far better for me to sit and listen while other folk do their thing; than for me to inflict upon them the tortured screaches and groans of any instrument that prior to being handed to me and afterward, they can make sweet music from.

Ogri the trog

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I was learning to play the bodhran a few years ago with the help of a book and a video.

But then my wife stopped working shifts and my practise time disappeared. I'm afraid that now it's just a nice ornament.

Cheers, Michael.

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
I like to bring an instrument when I go camping, usually I bring my harmonica because it's small but I can't play it very well...

Here's my harmonica with my native american flute which I also attempt to play sometimes:
instruments.jpg

The wooden recorder there was just in that picture, it's a little to high pitched and squeeky for the woods. Oh and the harmonica is a Hohner special 20 in C.

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Reet you lot, thanks a bunch i'm now dead set on a tin whistle! finally going to get myself sorted, however i need advice from those who own on whether to get a conical or a straight cut and what brands are best for a beginner (£5-£20 range)
i know D is the most common Key to begin with but what else is good?

kinda romantic to picture yourself sat by a fire playing the tin whistle i must say.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE